Packard Hall construction completed

The Department of Political Science now has a new home, as completed renovations to Packard Hall early this summer have allowed faculty and staff, previously located in Eaton Hall, to move into the building on time.
    Construction began just over a year ago in June 2008, and the total renovation cost was $7.1 million.
    Administrators within the School of Arts and Sciences originally planned to occupy Packard when Tufts' Board of Trustees approved $6.9 million in 2008 for the overhaul of the building. After construction began, however, a reevaluation of the Eaton Hall space prompted them to redirect the building to the political science department, and the trustees authorized an additional $200,000 to better suit the department's needs.
    The office space allotted in Eaton was "substandard" for political science members, Vice President of Operations John Roberto said. "It was a department whose needs were well known."
    Political Science Professor Jeffrey Berry agreed that it was time for the department to move. "The old office was not very welcoming," he said. "It was cramped, at best. Students were sitting on the floor."
    Department Chair Robert Devigne said that the staff needed more space based on the number of students the department advises. "We were overrun by political science students, and we advise more international [relations major] students than any other department," he said.
    The religion and anthropology departments will now occupy Eaton's offices, according to Devigne.
    Packard Hall was previously home to the university advancement office and has in its long history served the university as a residence hall, dining hall and library.
    The Linbeck Company conducted the renovations to the building. Linbeck was also responsible for the construction of Sophia Gordon Hall and the Granoff Music Center, according to Director of Construction Management Mitch Bodnarchuk.
    "They have a good track record on campus," Bodnarchuk said of the company.
    Bodnarchuk said that the project was on time and made budget even after the plans changed to prepare Packard for political science faculty rather than administrators.
    The change in intended use for the building required repartitioning the Packard offices. Larger rooms designed for deans were broken down to fit the faculty members, according to Bodnarchuk.
    The renovation in general, Bodnarchuk said, involved "a lot of demolition and restructuring" due to the building's old age.
    Linbeck added a second set of stairs, an elevator, a sprinkler system and an entrance ramp for handicap accessibility to the building.
    A number of other renovations occurred over the summer in addition to Packard's revamping. Eaton itself was re-carpeted and re-painted, while ceiling tiles and air conditioning units in the building were also replaced.
    Carmichael Hall's corridors, laundry room and common room were re-painted, and the building is also sporting new carpeting. Bathrooms on the first floor were made handicap-accessible, as were 12 first-floor rooms. The plaza in front of Carmichael was also redone, removing vegetation to make it feel "light and airy," Bodnarchuk said.
    Finally, the basketball and volleyball court inside Cousens Gym was rotated and extended to comply with NCAA regulations. A new hardwood floor, collapsible bleachers and a new sound system were also installed for the court.
    Though all of these renovations were performed this summer, none interfered with summer programs on campus.
"Everything we do, we coordinate with summer school folks," Bodnarchuk said.