Another fresh start

As the trees begin to change, there is an aura present on campus that happens once a year. While each student decides how they want to spend their time, evaluating what they want to get out of the upcoming year, a collective energy forms throughout the Hill. An unrivaled amount of creativity and enthusiasm causes a perfect storm of excitement: new clubs, ambitious personal goals, new friendships and a contagious buzz. The new year means a new start — another chance to get around to the hobby you never picked up, an ability to talk to the friend you have never approached, one more chance to explore all that Tufts has to offer.
    As the snow begins to fall, the autumn energy gives way to winter complacency. Routines emerge, midterms dominate our time and many of the goals and hopes that the fall ushered in find themselves at the bottom of our to-do lists. But if we could keep up that energy all year, constantly challenging routine and passivity, imagine the possibilities.
    With this in mind, I would like to warmly welcome the Class of 2013 to our great university. Freshmen are the physical embodiment of the energy I was referring to, serving as both a sparkplug to traditional campus groups and as a blank slate, eager to do whatever it takes to get the most out of the year. You have all made a great choice by attending Tufts, and, without a doubt, if you put in the time to explore what this university has to offer, you will be rewarded with an endless amount of success and memorable experiences. Never lose your enthusiasm to learn or discover, and as the years go by try to hold on to the awkward but exciting energy that you felt during your first few days at Tufts. The aura that surrounded your arrival to campus is dependent on your — and on the rest of the student body's — willingness to stay inventive and animated in the face of routine.
    I want to promise that the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate is ready and able to assist the campus in its effort to stay fresh and lively. An endless list of new projects, new ideas and new initiatives is intended to help make life at Tufts better for all students. This year's TCU Senate is committed to being realistic and approachable, making sure that every project we undertake has a real bottom line and a clear benefit for all students at Tufts. We will identify certain areas of campus life that could be improved upon and come up with relevant projects that can solve problems in these critical areas. Innovative strategies and plans will be used to create a more cohesive campus with better communication between clubs and leaders. A dedicated Senate will also be able to fortify intellectual life on campus and help create more social outlets to meet the demands of a diverse campus.
    The TCU Senate also will be much more open and transparent. We promise to use new technology sources to stay up-to-date and accessible, and our meetings will be much more public. Distributing agendas prior to meetings and advertising the appearance of administrators at meetings will ensure that no one is surprised by the decisions or direction of the Senate.
    As the year is set to begin, the TCU Senate will help the student body maintain the energy that makes the fall so special. But sustaining autumn's optimism is a personal task. It's important that as the year progresses we continue to challenge ourselves to innovate, to make sure that we do something new or meaningful every week. The beginning of the year tricks us into thinking that we have an unlimited amount of time to make our desired changes in the community and in ourselves, but every moment is precious and should not be wasted. If we all work together to create a better Tufts, we can have an entire year defined by a commitment to a dynamic, unforgettable campus culture.

--

Brandon Rattiner is a senior majoring in political science and philosophy. He is the TCU Senate president.