Professor sheds light on organic chemistry

For many prospective pre-medical students around the country, organic chemistry is one of the most daunting obstacles to deal with while fulfilling their barrage of requirements. Professors often consider it a weed-out course, and so do many of their students.

Though this fear persists at Tufts, one professor is working hard to dispel this norm. Professor David Walt strives to make organic chemistry enjoyable. His secret? According to Walt, honesty and finding material relatable to real life make all the difference.

"I always try to interject why the material is relevant and meaningful to students' everyday lives. Sometimes, the material is dry and boring and I tell students that I think it is dull also," Walt said. "I think they appreciate the honesty and understand that some topics they just have to learn."

Walt has been a professor at Tufts for 28 years and is highly respected for his work in the fields of organic and analytical chemistry, both as a teacher and as a researcher.

He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and before coming to Tufts in 1981, he received his doctorate from Stony Brook University in New York and did post-doctorate work at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston.

Among Tufts undergrads, Walt is probably best known for his perplexing ability to lecture in organic chemistry without using notes. As any Tufts student can attest to, very few lecturers on campus teach without notes, and organic chemistry is one of the most complex subjects in the natural sciences.

According to sophomore Izzie Santone, Walt's thorough knowledge of the subject comes through in his lectures. "He's so knowledgeable and has this aura of intelligence around what he teaches," she said. "It's really just his presence in the classroom."

According to Walt, both prior knowledge of the material and outside experience help him to prepare for classes. Each of his lectures is unique. "I know the material well … I carry a mental outline of what I plan to cover in class but I do not stick to it all the time," he said. "I try to adjust to how the students are responding to the material. In addition, I get ideas while I present the material that draw upon my experience. This way, the lectures stay fresh."

While lecturing without notes is an intriguing skill, it does not necessarily make a good teacher. Walt takes the time, however, to ensure that his students understand the material and tries to avoid common pitfalls that teachers fall into when teaching a complex science like organic chemistry.

"I try not to burden students with rote memorization. Obviously, there are some things they will have to memorize, but I attempt to teach the subject matter in a way that is logical so they can figure out the answer by looking at patterns and mechanisms," Walt said. "I feel I have a good rapport with the students, both in and out of class, and I try to get constant feedback on how well they are understanding and enjoying the material."

In addition to teaching and research, Walt serves on the boards of directors of several companies. He is one of four founders of a genetic systems provider called Illumina Incorporated, and he currently serves as chairman of their scientific advisory board. He has published over 200 articles in various scientific journals, co-invented over 40 patents, and he is currently a member of the National Academy of Engineering, which is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to an engineer.

Walt occasionally draws on his work experience in order to liven up his lectures. "I spend a day a week on these other activities … Through these outside activities, I am exposed to lots of interesting ideas and practical applications of science," he said. "I sometimes draw upon this knowledge to help make the material more relevant."