A food enthusiast's globalization

Chef, author and television personality Anthony Bourdain entertained a packed Cabot Auditorium last night.

Bourdain, the author of the bestselling memoir "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" (2001) and the host of the Travel Channel television series "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations," delivered a light-hearted lecture on the topic of globalization. His presentation quickly branched out to include a variety of subjects such as his long career in the food industry, his travels around the globe and his disdain for vegetarianism.

From the perspective of a food enthusiast, Bourdain argued that globalization -- the international convergence of ideas and cultures -- will have a positive impact on global cuisine.

He cited the example of Singapore, where many diverse cultures are represented. "It's a perfect world for food," he said.

"If that's the future, if that's the end result of globalization ... to me, it's not going to be such an awful thing," Bourdain said. He did note, however, one downside of globalization: "I hate fusion cooking."

Bourdain brought up many different themes in his trademark, dryly humorous style. He spoke about the power of Western food culture and its effects, the culinary quest to turn less-than-optimal ingredients into great-tasting food, and his own experiences traveling the world with the crew of "No Reservations."

Above all, Bourdain emphasized the need to experience the world in as authentic a manner as possible, rejecting tourist traps like American chain restaurants. "If you're lucky enough to see the world," he said, "do as they do."

Bourdain participated in a question-and-answer session after the lecture.