Events Calendar

MONDAY

"Transformational Leadership: A Journey from Activist to President"

Details: President of East Timor José Ramos-Horta, a Nobel laureate, will speak about his history of leadership in Timor-Leste, spanning from his time as a journalist to his role in founding the Revolutionary Front to his posts as primer minister and then president. The lecture is part of the course "The Role of Leadership in Conflict Transformation." Ramos-Horta will also receive the Institute for Global Leadership's Dr. Jean Mayer Global Citizenship Award. R.S.V.P. at www.pjtt.org/horta_registration.htm. When and Where: 6:00 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.; Sophia Gordon Hall Sponsors: The Project on Justice in Times of Transition, Institute for Global Leadership, Peace and Justice Studies Program, Experimental College

"From Medford to SNL: '07 Alum Discusses His Jobs at NBC"

Details: Jeffrey Vanderkruik (LA'07), who minored in communications and media studies at Tufts, will discuss the various positions he has held at NBC, including his current job working under the producer of Saturday Night Live. When and Where: 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.; Experimental College, 95 Talbot Ave. Sponsor: Communications and Media Studies Program

"Economic Growth and Contraction in the Roman World"

Details: The fourth annual Miriam S. Balmuth Lecture Series will focus this week on the economy of the Roman Empire and its relevance during the current economic downturn. Oxford Archaeology Professor Andrew Wilson will present four lectures. Monday - The Archaeology of Economic Institutions, Cabot 206 Tuesday - Roman Technology: The Possibilities and Limits for Preindustrial Growth, Cabot 206 Wednesday - Before the Pin Factory: Division of Labor and Mass Production, Cabot 206Thursday - Mining, Metal Supply, and the Supply of Money, Braker 001 When and Where: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sponsor: Department of Classics

TUESDAY

"Energy Planning at the Municipal Level: New York City's PlaNYC 2030"

Details: Rohit Aggarwala, the director of the New York City Mayor's Office of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability, which is responsible for "greening" Manhattan, will talk about energy sustainability. When and Where: 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Cabot 205 Sponsor: Tufts Institute of the Environment

WEDNESDAY

"Who Watches the Watchmen? Contemporary Issues in Journalism"

Details: In celebration of Tufts' new public editor position, National Public Radio's ombudsman, Alicia C. Shepard, will be speaking. Tufts' public editor, senior Jeremy White, will also comment on student media. When and Where: 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.; Sophia Gordon Multipurpose Room Sponsor: Media Advocacy Board American Slang and Idioms Workshop Details: Foreign students can learn to use American workplace slang. R.S.V.P. to Susannah.Krenn@tufts.edu. When and Where: 12:00 p.m. 1:00 p.m.; campus center conference room Sponsor: Career Services

THURSDAY

"Rock Out with Your Mic Out"

Details: Enter your band to win a prize in this competition. R.S.V.P. to Karo.Jenny@gmail.com. There is a $6 entrance fee. When and Where: 9:00 p.m.; Hotung Café Sponsor: Tufts Hillel

FRIDAY

"How to Understand Russian Politics"

Details: Dr. Irina Pavlova, a Russian historian and political analyst, will speak about the state of Russian politics and foreign policy. When and Where: 1:00 p.m.; ASEAN Auditorium, Cabot Intercultural Center Sponsors: The Tufts Russian Circle; Tufts' Russian Program in the Department of German, Russian and Asian Languages and Literature; the Tufts IR Program; the Charles Smith Endowment Fund