DTD fraternity plans to return to campus after suspension

After being suspended four years ago, the Beta Mu chapter of the Delta Tau Delta (DTD) fraternity will return to Tufts this spring with a new member class.  

For the next few weeks, DTD Chapter Leadership Consultant Nicholas Aylward will be on the Tufts campus in an effort to promote the fraternity's return.

"When we closed the group … we decided that when all members of the group had graduated, we would like to come back to Tufts," Aylward, who works in DTD's central office in Indiana, told the Daily. "We now think that it's an appropriate time to return."

Directory of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Patrick Romero-Aldaz, a Delta Tau Delta alum himself, is looking forward to DTD's return.

"As with any growth in our community, we are very excited to have a new chapter on campus to provide more options for student involvement," he told the Daily in an e-mail. "Once they are back in working order, they will become the new member of the fraternity community and be active members of [the Interfraternity Council]."

DTD, which was established at Tufts in 1889, was suspended during the spring semester of 2005 when a freshman stopped breathing during a pledging event that involved drinking. Upon further investigation, chapter members admitted to a series of violations, including hazing and providing alcohol to minors.

"The chapter at the time was found responsible for violating some of the university's and its own policies," Romero-Aldaz said. "As such, the chapter lost recognition from both Tufts and the international organization."

Following their suspension, Aylward said that DTD's central leadership took quick action to institute anti-hazing policies on the Tufts campus.

"When this happened, we were pretty swift to act and immediately started the anti-hazing hotline for all Greek organizations [at Tufts]," Aylward said. "Of course we are going to take responsibility for what happened, but our hope in starting fresh on the Tufts campus this year is that we can move past this."

Romero-Aldaz also hopes that students will give the chapter the chance to start anew. "It is very important for the community to note that the new Delta Tau Delta at Tufts will not be the same chapter that was expelled," he said.

In an effort to integrate DTD into the community, Aylward has been meeting with representatives from sororities, the Tufts Community Union Senate and the Leonard Carmichael Society. He hopes that by the time the fraternity's recruiting period ends on Feb. 20, DTD will have around 40 to 42 male students, the campus average for fraternities.

"When we look to expand on campus, we look to hit the average, but it will be OK if we are higher or lower by Feb. 20," he said.

As of now, Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) occupies DTD's former residence at 98 Professors Row, which is operated by DTD alumni. Aylward said that he is working with the Office of Residential Life and Learning to secure a section of a dorm for DTD members for the next three years.

"Per Tufts policy, when a Greek organization forms, in order to ensure the group's sustainability, they must wait three years until they can occupy a house," he said. "While we want to make sure that they can run an organization before they run a facility, at the same time we want to give them something that they can call their own for now."

Aylward said that at this point, no decision has been reached as to where AEPi will live when their lease runs out in three years.  

"We don't know if we want to move back because the AEPi tenants have been great, and we don't want to kick them out," he said. "We want to make sure that whatever outcome is reached should be beneficial for both groups." 

DTD will begin handing out bids on Wednesday, when the fraternity will hold an open meeting in Goddard Chapel. Wednesday also marks the end of the Interfraternity Council's recruiting period.