Visiting the Hill | 11/3/2008 - 11/7/2008

MONDAY

"Understanding International Deviations from the Law of One Price"

Details: As part of the economics department and Fletcher School's seminar series, Marios Zachariadis of the University of Cyprus will be presenting his work regarding trade costs and segmenting product markets.

When and Where: 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.; 314 Tisch Library

Sponsors: Department of Economics, Fletcher School

"Community Robotics as New Media for Education"

Details: Illah Bourbakhsh, a professor of robotics at Carnegie Mellon University, will talk about the new trend of using robotics in education. His presentation is part of the Center for Engineering Educational Outreach's (CEEO) Seminar Series.

When and Where: 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; basement of Curtis Hall

Sponsor: CEEO

"Alternative Forms of Transportation"

Details: Kay Carson of MassRIDES will be joining the Experimental College class "Marketing for Social Change" to talk about transportation issues, including alternative transportation methods and tactics used to discourage commuters from riding alone.

When and Where: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; 220 Braker Hall

Sponsor: The Communications and Media Studies Program

TUESDAY

"Designed Peptide Materials for Biomedical Applications"

Details: University of Delaware Associate Professor Joel Schneider will be discussing the purpose and role of peptide materials, specifically for biomedical applications. Refreshments will be served 30 minutes before the presentation in Pearson 212.

When and Where: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.; 106 Pearson

Sponsor: Chemistry Department

WEDNESDAY

"Should the U.S. Promote Democracy in the Middle East and, If So, How?"

Details: Ambassador William A. Rugh will lead six Fletcher students in a discussion about the United States' role in promoting democracy in the Middle East. RSVP to fares-center@tufts.edu by noon today.

When and Where: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.; Fares Center Conference Room, Cabot Intercultural Center

Sponsor: Fares Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies

"The Rise of Printing in Arabic"

Details: In conjunction with the gallery exhibition "Empire and its Discontents," Arabic Lecturer Mohammed Alwan will talk about the increasing global prevalence of printing in Arabic. A reception will follow Alwan's presentation.

When and Where: 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Aidekman Arts Center

Sponsor: Tufts University Art Gallery

"Impact of Global Religious Resurgence on International Relations: Success Stories from the Muslim World"

Details: As part of the Goddard Chapel Forum on Religion and International Relations, Kathryn Coughlin, president of the organization Global Research and Analysis, will highlight examples of how religion has had a positive impact on international relations in the Muslim world.

When and Where: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Goddard Chapel

Sponsor: The Office of the University Chaplain

"Fall Comedy Show Featuring Seth Meyers"

Details: Seth Meyers, Saturday Night Live's chief writer, will be performing at Tufts this Wednesday. Tickets are $10 and are available at the Cohen box office.

When and Where: 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.; Cohen Auditorium

Sponsor: Entertainment Board

THURSDAY

"OEM Software: The Problems of Success"

Details: Terry Moore, the chief operating officer at MCCI, a prominent developer of USB drivers and cell phone firmware, will speak as part of the computer science department's colloquium series.

When and Where: 2:50 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Sponsor: Department of Computer Science

"Roles of Engineers in Poverty Reduction: Challenges and Opportunities"

Details: Bernard Amadei, a professor of civil engineering at the University of Colorado, Boulder, will discuss the potential for pursuing engineering in the developing world.

When and Where: 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Cabot Auditorium

Sponsor: Dean of Engineering

"Religion in America/Religion in Europe"

Details: Larry Lowenthal, director of the American Jewish Center, will speak for this Chaplain's Table lecture.

When and Where: 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Dewick-Macphie Dining Hall Conference Room

Sponsors: The Office of the University Chaplain, International Center, Fletcher School

FRIDAY

"The Origin of an Evolutionary Novelty: Butterfly Eyespots"

Details: Antonia Monteiro, assistant professor of evolutionary developmental biology at Yale University, will speak as part of the biology department's Seminar Series.

When and Where: 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; 104 Barnum

Sponsor: Biology department