Profile: Meredith Vieira

Meredith Vieira (J '75) will return to the Hill today to deliver the Commencement address to the Class of 2008. Vieira has won nine Emmy Awards throughout her career in journalism, and she currently co-anchors NBC's "The Today Show" and hosts ABC's "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

As if nine golden statuettes aren't enough, Vieira will receive an honorary doctorate today alongside five other distinguished Tuftonians.

Vieira was born in Providence, R.I. to Portuguese-American parents in 1953. She grew up as the youngest of four siblings.

After graduating magna cum laude from Tufts with a bachelor's degree in English, Vieira began what would be a long career in journalism. She worked as a news announcer for the radio station WORC in Worcester before moving on to a variety of news stations in Providence, New York and Chicago. She then signed on to CBS' "West 57th" and "60 Minutes."

But when Vieira's manager refused to let her work part-time in order to take care of her children, she left the show, sparking a controversy over whether women can truly balance a career and a family. Vieira picked up her career with "CBS Morning News." Next, Vieira served as chief correspondent for ABC's "Turning Point" and became a moderator on "The View" before making her way to her present broadcast positions.

Aside from her distinguished journalistic background, Vieira has been deeply involved in a variety of philanthropic organizations and charitable foundations.

She presently resides in Westchester County, N.Y. with her three children and husband, CBS journalist Richard Cohen.