Dr. Simin Meydani discusses new role as Vice Provost for Research

100915_3552_KMA_HNRCA718

Dr. Simin Meydani, Ph.D., is Tufts University’s new Vice Provost for Research (VPR). Through this position, Meydani will work with faculty and university leadership to promote and oversee research at Tufts across all its campuses.

A scientist by training with a background in veterinary medicine, Meydani has published over 300 works and continues to conduct research in the fields of nutrition, immunology and aging. She's been associated with Tufts for more than 30 years and has taught at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy and the Tufts Sackler Graduate Program in Immunology. In addition to her new role, she will stay on as director of the Nutritional Immunology Lab of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts (HNRCA).

In an email interview with the Daily, she discussed her research and her new position.

Q: You were born and educated in Tehran. What were your early years like?

A: I had a wonderful childhood. I have four siblings, three sisters and one brother, and we had the best time playing together in make-believe games and with homemade toys and reading a lot of classics. I went to an all-girls school all the way through high school. I did not like it at the time, but in retrospect, I very much appreciate it as it provided me with limitless opportunities.

In addition to Iranian music, we listened to music from Europe and the U.S. — The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and the like — watched a lot of foreign movies, and kept up with international news and fashion.

Q: Before going into the field of nutrition, you received a degree in veterinary medicine from Tehran University. What made you gravitate towards nutrition? Are you still involved in veterinary medicine in any way?

A: At the veterinary school in Tehran, which was [a six-year program], after the fourth year, we had the option of selecting a sub-specialty, and I selected nutrition. At the time, it was focused on animal nutrition. When I came to this country for post-graduate education, I became more interested in human nutrition, and that is what my Ph.D. is in.

I am not involved in veterinary medicine directly, but my education in veterinary medicine has always been part of my research. Also, the work that my group and I have done [at the HNRCA] is of interest to veterinarians. I am periodically invited to present at their professional meetings, which I am always glad to accept.

Q: When and how did you find out about Tufts?

A: After I finished my Ph.D., I was offered a postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and my husband was offered a position at the newly formed HNRCA at Tufts. So I learned about aging research through him and saw the connection between my work, which was focused on the impact of nutrition on immune function and aging. Subsequently, I submitted a proposal based on the ideas and hypothesis I had formed and was fortunate to obtain a five-year early career award from the National Institute on Aging that enabled me to secure a position as a scientist at the [HNRCA].

Q: While at Tufts, in addition to nutrition, you have been researching aging and how nutrition intersects with aging and immunology. In what direction do you see your nutrition research going in the future?

A: With the growing population of older adults, the increase in obesity and chronic diseases and the prevalence of food insecurity and nutritional deficiencies, globally we will see greater integration of nutrition in biomedical fields and in prevention of diseases, as well as in efforts to provide sustainable and nutritionally enriched foods around the world, particularly in resource-poor areas.

We are also going to see (at least, I hope) a lot more research on understanding cultural barriers to adopting healthy nutritional recommendations, as well as utilizing economic and behavioral science methodologies and reward systems to help people adopt healthy nutritional and other lifestyle choices. Our ability to document changes in the brain's reward system objectively through imaging techniques is going to advance this area of nutritional sciences tremendously.

I am also hoping to see a lot more collaboration among the food industry, academia and governments in order to address some of our most challenging nutrition-related health problems, such as obesity.

Q: What do you consider your biggest accomplishment?

A: In terms of research, I am very happy about discoveries we have made in terms of understanding the molecular basis of age-associated dysregulation of immune and inflammatory responses, which we have then used to develop effective strategies to reverse these changes (e.g. reduce age-associated inflammation, improve the function of the immune cells, enhance vaccine efficacy and resistance to certain pathogens).

In terms of administration, one of the first things I did when I became the HNRCA director was to complete a very inclusive strategic plan, which we have successfully implemented, despite going through a very difficult research funding period nationally. As a result, we have enhanced collaboration and interdisciplinary research at the Center and diversified our funding sources. We also initiated a very successful pilot funding program, which has brought in new grant funding several times.

Q: Throughout your extensive career, has it ever been difficult to juggle it all?

A: Of course, particularly when my children were growing up. What helped me, though, was having a very understanding and supportive husband (an accomplished scientist and colleague as well) and a lot of love and support from my family, especially my parents.

Q: How do you hope your new position will affect and aid undergraduate students?

A: By advancing research at Tufts and enhancing the communication of research accomplishments and research opportunities (via improvements to our website and our social media outlets), I am hoping that we will increase awareness of these opportunities among undergraduate students and generate more excitement in participating in research.

Early next year, I would like to work with faculty, students, schools and university leadership on a strategic plan for research across Tufts. I would like to engage undergraduate students in this effort so that the university’s strategic plan for research will reflect their needs and aspirations. As I learn and familiarize myself with all the great research being conducted across the university, I would also like to work with the school deans and student leadership to find the most efficient way for me to learn from the undergraduate students about their needs. My door is also open, so students should feel free to contact me. I would love to hear from them.

Q: What is some advice you can give undergraduate students who are eager to participate in and conduct research?

A: Just give it a try and be patient. Be prepared to start with modest tasks and have an open mind about the results you get. What looks like negative and disappointing findings from an experiment, evaluated from another angle, might actually be a very exciting discovery.