Carmichael Hall: dinner party edition

You know those people who run into Carm and haphazardly sling a few scoops of cereal into a bowl and splash milk on top? Or those who grab a slice of lukewarm pizza and shovel said “meal” down their gullets while balancing their plates precariously on top of an economics textbook, desperate to get some energy before running off to class?

I am the opposite of those people.

Sure, we all have busy days. But when you have a little extra time, it is worth it to put together a nice meal in the dining halls to share with friends.

To really appreciate the dining hall, you have to think of it as a pantry in a professional kitchen, with an array of prepared ingredients that you can assemble into a meal. Dozens of people have spent hours cleaning, cutting and cooking just so you can make your dinner party dining hall dreams come true. To make it happen, swipe into Carm with a handful of your friends, and divide the tasks as described below:

• For the space cadet: assert your dominance and reserve a nice big table for the party.
  • For the non-celiac: head to the breadboard, slice off some of the fresh bread and then pile them onto a plate.
  • For the salad-fiend: you know where the oil and vinegar is, right? Of course you do. Grab a big salad bowl, drizzle in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar and toss in some garlic salt or parmesan cheese from the pasta station.
  • For the other salad-fiend (I know you probably have a couple): place some raw crudités on a plate, then spread a thick, even layer of hummus onto another dinner plate. Make a well in the center of the hummus, then drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with feta cheese.
  • For the friend who always makes a sandwich: grab two small bowls and a plate, then, head to the sandwich bar. Fill one bowl with pesto, the other with an assortment of nice olives, and place a nice selection of salami, cured meats and sliced cheese on the plate.
Once everyone regroups, spend a few minutes commiserating over the struggles of fighting your way around Carm. I know, I know, this was a process, but it’ll all be worth it in just a few minutes. Arrange all the food on the table — snap it, ‘gram it, whatever — then dig in. Dip the bread in the olive oil and balsamic, swipe some crudités in the hummus or make a nice tartine with bread, pesto and salami. Feast until you’re all stuffed and then resolve to make this dinner party a weekly tradition for the rest of the semester.