An open letter to Fall

Dear Fall,

Is it too early to write this? I know you aren’t in full swing yet, but technically, you arrived last Wednesday. And anyway, you’re not just here by definition, either. You’ve crept into the air, filtered the color of the sunlight, started to tie-dye the summer leaves.

You’ve brought jeans and flannels out of the backs of closets, along with hot drinks and anything flavored pumpkin. But you’ve also brought a settling in — replacing the wildness of summer with routine and belonging.

I know that everyone thinks of spring as the new start, but I think you should be given some credit in that department, too. As college students, it’s really September that marks a new beginning, the first words of a new chapter. At this very moment, you’re setting the tone that will carry us through the next eight months — and that’s a big deal. Will we be more social this year? Will over-commitment be the death of us? Or will this semester be the one where we really figure out what we want to do with our lives?

On the college student’s calendar, maybe New Year’s should actually be Sept. 23. The jitters are out, the schedules are set; it’s time to take a deep breath and center ourselves on what we decide will matter most to us this year.

For me, there are a lot of things that could go on that list. But, for the sake of brevity, here are just a few of my “New Year’s resolutions” -- fall-style:

I hope you’ll bring us all in closer. As the wind starts to sting and chills reach deeper, I hope we’ll look to share warmth with others — bundling up for nature walks with friends or seeking out cozy corners for coffee dates. This is a season to reach out and be reached out to — to catch up with the people we’ve missed and appreciate the company of the ones who have been with us all along.

I hope you’ll keep me focused; I hope you’ll keep me sane. Along with crimson leaves and golden sun, you’re also bringing tests, jobs, papers, meetings, reading assignments and a whole slew of other things. I hope that the crispness of the air will keep my head sharp and wits about me, while still serving as a reminder to breath deeply every now and then.

That said, I hope you’ll keep my eyes open. If I’m forgetting to look up at the trees, throw a falling leaf in my face.  If I’m caught up in my own head while walking to class, shoot a gust of wind my way, just to remind my face to feel. Don’t let me get away with ignoring how spectacular these next few months are — or how lucky I am to be in this wonderful world.

Thanks for the beautiful days, for the fresh air and for the new beginning.

Sincerely,

Clara Wagner

P.S. I really, really hate winter. So also feel free to take your time and stay a while.