Senior Profile: Joshua Youner

2014-05-08-Joshua-Youner-19
5/8/2014 – Medford/Somerville, MA, 02155 – Tufts senior, Joshua Youner, poses for a portrait in front of Ballou on Thursday, May 8th, 2014. (Nicholas Pfosi / The Tufts Daily)

Though Joshua Youner was initially interested in Tufts' international relations program, as a senior, he now focuses on economics, exploring business practices both inside and outside the classroom. An economics major and entrepreneurial leadership studies minor, Youner has also served as vice president of Alpha Epsilon Pi and has helped run Up to Us, a campaign that works to raise awareness about the federal debt on campus.

One of Youner's biggest accomplishments at Tufts has been helping establish the university's chapter of 180 Degree Consulting, an international organization that pairs student teams with local nonprofits to help them achieve a greater social impact. Over the course of a semester, student teams work on financial projects throughout the community.

"We had five projects this semester, and, basically, we helped nonprofits in the area improve their operations, improve their donor base, improve ... their marketing - [we do] a whole host of different things," Youner said. "We're hoping to grow next semester, [and] we'll hopefully have eight projects, as opposed to just five."

Youner explained that the Tufts chapter of 180 Degrees is incredibly beneficial - not just for nonprofits, but also for students, especially those who are looking to gain consulting skills.

"It [gives] students an opportunity to really get some real-world skills on the ground, as opposed to just learning about stuff in the classroom," he said. "As an ELS minor myself, I think it was really important to get some experience outside the classroom. I think the ELS minor is great, [and] they do great things, but you can only take it so far ... This [is] a very real-world thing with tangible results."

180 Degrees Consulting's mission aligns with students' interests, especially because active citizenship is such an important concept at Tufts, Youner said.

"It's the perfect mix," he said. "We're active citizens. We like to be involved and help the social causes, but it also gave us a business environment to learn more about ... the business track."

While Youner's interests have shifted from international relations, he has not completely ruled out politics as a career path, and hopes to one day get involved with education public policy. However, after he graduates, Youner will continue to concentrate on economics at Deloitte - a large company better known for its tax and accounting services, which also has a growing consulting division - where he will work as a generalist in the company's management consulting branch.

Youner noted that he's looking forward to the next stage of his life, both on a personal and professional level.

"I'm excited because of the variety of the work [I'll be doing], since I don't really know what I want to do yet permanently [for] the rest of my career," Youner said. "[Deloitte is] a great place to really learn about what interests me and what I'm good at. And what am I looking forward to most after graduation? You know - growing up, moving on to the next stage in life, maturing. Having my own apartment; that's really exciting."

Though he is optimistic about the future, Youner also said he will miss the community he is leaving behind at Tufts.

"I applied [to Tufts] early decision, and when I was a junior in high school, I knew immediately when I set foot on campus ... I wanted to come here," Youner said. "I've just loved the people I've met here so far. I love my friends. [It] kind of sounds clich?, but, honestly, I think that's the best part of Tufts."