Somerville with Townie Tim: Breakfast

Weekend breakfast is a staple of social culture in Somerville. I, more than most, know that getting up after a late weekend night can be difficult. But if you are sleeping in and getting some sort of sandwich in Carm at 1 p.m. on a Saturday, you are missing out on an entire world of goodness.

Maybe it’s because I am getting old, but I see more of my friends at breakfast than I ever do at a bar on the weekend. Seriously, give me a table full of food in the morning over any sweaty basement filled with pulsating music. Comprehensively, compared to most weekend activities, breakfast is probably the least regretful of the options.

With all the places to eat around here, there is absolutely no excuse not to schlep out to Teele Square, Davis Square or Ball Square for a plate of morning deliciousness. To be clear, this is not a column about a specific place you should go for breakfast over another. I cannot provide one strong, universal recommendation. This space is more of a celebration of breakfast culture as a whole. Each place around here provides a specific kind of food for a specific type of situation. If I don’t want to be bothered while eating a plate of eggs, I go to Kelly’s Diner. If I want to eat pastries and show off my hand tattoo, I go to Diesel Cafe. If I want to take my parents to the first place they saw when they got off the Red Line, I go to Mr. Crêpe. If I am a first-year and it’s the morning after my first party, I go to Magnificent Muffin & Bagel. If I want to wait in line for two hours for a breakfast that is totally worth it, then it’s Ball Square Cafe or Sound Bites.

Now, about those last two. I know there is a lot of scuttlebutt going around about the history of those places. Let your townie friend set the record straight. Basically, there used to be one restaurant, the owner and the landlord had a falling-out, the owner moved next door and the chef was hired by the landlord to stay in the current location. Point is, either spot is great and there is not much difference between the two. The most important thing you can do is try both, pick your favorite and rag on the other one.

This brings me to my overall point about breakfast in Somerville. The most critical thing is not finding your favorite place; it’s forming an arbitrary opinion about every possible option. You should actually try all of the offerings at least once because you will be going out to breakfast a lot during your time at Tufts. But you have to have a basis for your opinion, so when your friends want to catch brunch this Saturday, you’ll have something to say in addition to “yeah sounds good!”