Gayle and Winnetka Bowling League capture crowd at intimate venue

263506083_931234124200688_897559673806216270_n-scaled
Winnetka Bowling League performed at Boston’s Brighton Music Hall on Nov. 19.

On Nov. 29, rising alternative indie band Winnetka Bowling League performed at Boston’s Brighton Music Hall in an intimate but lively combination of bouncy melodies, cardboard cutouts and deadbeat dad jokes. 

The evening started with an engaging performance by Gayle. She wore leather pants, fishnet sleeves and a Reese’s Pieces T-shirt. Her chunky Doc Martens commanded a power that matched the infectious energy of her performance. From angsty anthems to poignant ballads, Gayle demonstrated her talent’s breadth. 

Balancing Gayle’s edgy persona was an obvious appreciation and care for her fans. She infused her electric set with interactive comments and jokes to the crowd. Her performance ended with “abcdefu” –– an entertaining song that recently found fame on TikTok. The lyrics berate her ex and all the critical things in her life. She only reserves sympathy for their dog. To further her obvious connection with the crowd, she called on listeners to chant the compelling lyrics back. It created a thrilling competition between two sides of the venue over who could be louder; the resulting noise and excitement marked her set as a success. 

As she exited the stage, she professed her gratitude towards both Winnetka Bowling League and her fans; at 17, the opportunity to sing and join the band on tour was remarkable. Her music marries the tumultuous adventures of her life as a 21st-century teen with compelling melodies and an enticing stage presence. 

After Gayle’s unforgettable performance, Winnetka Bowling League maintained her incredible energy. Their three members —singer and lead guitarist Matthew Koma, drummer Kris Mazzarisi and Sam Beresford on the keys — took the stage and began with a boppy rendition of their most recent single, “Pulp.” Behind them on stage, two backward-facing cardboard cutouts drummed up mystery and intrigue among the crowd. 

In a red beanie, tan slacks and worn white Converse,Koma bounced around the stage in jumps, expressing his energy in sporadic dance moves. Between guitar strokes, he danced to his music with comical yet groovy T-Rex arms. It was the exact stage presence expected from an alternative indie band, fantastically complementing his insane guitar skills. 

Besides an obvious ear for catchy melodies, the group demonstrated talent with well-written, spritely and thoughtful lyrics. The songs delved into the tiny joys and treasures of everyday life. For example, Koma described his songwriting process with a silly story that took place at a coffee shop. 

Koma shared the lyric “I’m outside your window the romantic way” with a friend, expressing his excitement at putting it in an upcoming song. He was met with a stiff response and given the advice that the lyric, instead, came off as creepy. Still, Koma incorporated it into the hit “The Romantic Way” (2020) and it fits. 

Though the band certainly delivered with every song, the highlight of their set was “CVS” (2020) with a cardboard cutout of Edward Cullen on bass.Koma prefaced the song with a comical jab at the intense politics within “The Twilight Saga” (2008–12) fandom. The band sadly had to leave behind its base guitarist, he reported, after she declared herself ‘Team Jacob.’ With that silly interlude, the band turned the cardboard cutout to reveal Edward Cullen with a hot pink inflatable guitar taped to his chest. Earlier in the set, a cardboard cutout of Vin Diesel made an  appearance during the song “Barcelona.”  

As for the performance itself, hearing “CVS” live was an enthralling experience. The song tells a sweet romance with lyrics promising gifts like “chocolate hearts from CVS." 

Winnetka Bowling League ended the night with its song “On the 5” (2018), which referenced a lost California summer romance, echoing its frequent refrains to the beauty and simplicity of life on the West coast. It was the end to a set with songs that all resonated with the crowd. Often, bands struggle to hold the attention of fans for the whole set, yet Winnetka Bowling League did so effortlessly and with charm. 

Though Winnetka Bowling League is still a young group with plenty of room to grow, it is certainly a hidden gem capable of producing iconic music.