Jonas Brothers reunion sparks mid-aughts nostalgia

rs_1080x1080-190228122719-1080-jonas-brothers-album-sucker-reunion-cover-cc.22819
The Jonas Brothers' cover for their single 'Sucker' is pictured.

The recent trend of 1990s nostalgia has brought with it a wave of boyband reunions. Iconic groups such as The Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block, whose members are now well into their 40s, are dropping albums and announcing reunion tours to the delight of their now-grown millennial fans. But what about the youngest adults, who were born in the late 90s and are just a bit too young to have had a childhood crush on Justin Timberlake or Aaron Carter? This group often feels left out of the boyband nostalgia, but not anymore.

Last Friday at midnight, the Jonas Brothers released their new single and music video “Sucker,” and 20-somethings everywhere rejoiced. The trio, made up of Joe, Nick, and Kevin Jonas, was formed in 2005 and gained popularity from their appearances on Disney Channel. Those who were children and teens towards the end of the last decade might remember dancing to hits such as “Year 3000” (2006) and “Burnin’ Up” (2008), or watching the brothers act alongside Demi Lovato in the Disney Channel Original Movie "Camp Rock" (2008). Before their breakup in 2013, the Jonas Brothers sold over 17 million albums.

While the Jonas Brothers have been in the spotlight lately, especially after Nick's high-profile wedding to actress Priyanka Chopra in December 2018, “Sucker” marks their first music release as a band in six years. Though rumors of a reunion had been swirling for a couple of weeks, the excitement really kicked off on Thursday, Feb. 28, when oldest brother Joe broke the news of the upcoming single on Twitter. This was followed by a flurry of activity from the brothers on social media. The brothers played into the nostalgia of fans by recreating a 2008 viral YouTube video, in which Nick and Kevin spin a table before Joe enters and says, “oh, how the tables have turned.” The new video, posted to Twitter and Instagram, ends with confetti and a banner reading, “Hello Again.”

The fanfare continued with the midnight release of “Sucker” on March 1. The song is an updated version of their old pop-rock sound, with a streamlined guitar-focused instrumentation that lets their vocals shine through. Nick takes the lead on this song, and his falsetto lends the song an airy quality: “I'm a sucker for you / You say the word and I'll go anywhere blindly,” he croons on the chorus. Joe’s rhythmic pre-chorus is a highlight of the song, and a whistle hook makes the track even more of an earworm.

The music video, also released at midnight, features a lush aesthetic courtesy of its filming location: Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, the Jacobean mansion that served as Queen Elizabeth I’s childhood home. Movie fans may recognize it as the palatial setting for many films — most recently Oscar nominee "The Favourite" (2018). The video co-stars were Priyanka Chopra, Danielle Jonas and Sophie Turner, who are the real-life partners of Nick, Kevin and Joe, respectively. Judging by the lavish, sometimes absurd costumes, the Jonas Brothers went all in on the budget for the video, and it pays off in the striking visuals. While the shenanigans for the most part stick to PG territory, some of the shots — including the brothers pouring vodka drinks and Joe tied up in his boxers—would not have been possible in their Disney Channel days. This is the Jonas Brothers all grown up.

Though it is not clear whether the Jonas Brothers have plans to release an album in the immediate future, the excitement isn’t over yet. Amazon recently announced an upcoming documentary about the band that will be available on Prime Video. Nostalgic fans can look forward to even more content — and the continuation of the eternal debate over who is the most attractive brother.