The 91st Oscars: A Recap

oscars
A promotional image for the Academy Awards is pictured.

This past Sunday, the 91st Oscars were held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, as they have been the past 18 times since the theatre was opened in 2001. However, during the ceremony, a feeling of change lingered in the air.

This was the first time in 30 years that the Oscars did not have a host. Many worried that the lack of a leading comic would end in a disastrous show, as it did back in 1989. But this was not the case last night. The hostless awards ceremony was better than in previous years, making viewers wonder if this should be the go-to method moving forward.

Now to the night's winners. There was no one film that completely outdid the others, and there was quite a variation in award winners.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” (2018) took home four awards, for best Sound Mixing, best Film Editing, best Sound Editing, and best Actor in a leading role for Rami Malek’s performance as the iconic Freddie Mercury.

“Black Panther” (2018) garnered three statues, for best Costume Design, best Production Design, and best Music (Original Score).

“Green Book” (2018) also won thrice, for best Writing (Original Screenplay), best Actor in a Supporting Role for Mahershala Ali’s portrayal of legendary Jazz artist Don Shirley, and the most prestigious award for films, best Picture.  

“Roma” (2018) triumphed in three categories, too. The film won recognition in best Cinematography, best Foreign Language Film and best Directing, which Alfonso Cuarón won for the second time in his career.

These films were the only multi-award winners. Some other notable wins of the night included best Actress in a leading role for Olivia Colman, likely the biggest upset of the night; best Actress in Supporting Role for Regina King, whose win slightly makes up for the film’s omission from the best Picture category; best Animated Feature Film for “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (2018), becoming first non-Disney movie since “Rango” (2011) to win this category and just the sixth non-Disney movie ever to win it; best Music (Original Song) went to Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s “Shallow” from “A Star is Born” (2018) likely the least shocking victory of the night (though their stellar live rendition surely sparked some of the lost shock in the crowd).

Best Documentary (Feature) went to “Free Solo” (2018), best Documentary (Short Subject) to “Period. End of Sentence" (2018), best Short Film (Live Action) to “Skin” (2018) and best Short Film (Animated) to “Bao” (2018).

Picking up best Visual Effects was the oft-overlooked “First Man” (2018) and best Makeup and Hairstyling rightfully went to “Vice” (2018).

In between the awards was a good show, which was surprising given the controversies leading up to Sunday. Jokes landed, musical performances wowed and most speeches were excellent.

The presenters of the night were especially memorable. The opening trifecta was comprised of former Saturday Night Live colleagues Maya Rudolph, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, whose barrage of topical jokes was well-received by the crowd of celebrities. Melissa McCarthy and Brian Tyree Henry hilariously presented best Costume Design while clad in garb inspired by “The Favourite” (2018).

There were spot-on musical numbers coming from a range of voice. Broadway legend Bette Midler belted best Music (Original Song)-nominated “The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns” (2018). Musicians Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert and Queen as well as the duo of Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper performed as well.

With the night’s biggest upset, Olivia Colman delivered a terrific speech. She managed to thank her idol and this year’s best Actress in a leading role frontrunner Glenn Close, as well as Lady Gaga.

Looking to the future, trailers for the coming year’s films were unleashed during the Oscars broadcast. Most exciting were new spots for Disney’s “The Lion King” (2019), Marvel’s “Captain Marvel” (2019) Elton John biopic “Rocketman” (2019) and Martin Scorsese's next gangster venture “The Irishman” (2019). At least one of these films is expected to be recognized this time next year at the 92nd Oscars.