Daily Week: Meet the arts editors

Libby Langsner — Class Year: 2019, Position: Executive Arts Editor, Major: Art history, Mainly covers: Museum and gallery exhibitions

Why Arts?: Are there other sections? Just kidding ... but in all seriousness, I get to write about my favorite things and work with my favorite people, what more can a girl ask for?

Favorite Movie: "Goodfellas" (1990).

Best Thing I've Seen Recently: I’ve been pestering all my friends to watch Netflix’s “Russian Doll” (2019). The team includes Amy Poehler and Natasha Lyonne, and the show is a perfect blend of existential, sentimental and hilarious. Also, Lyonne is curly hair goals.

Fun Arts Fact: I'm absolutely obsessed with makeup and watch way too many tutorials on YouTube, and I did people's makeup for The Lewkk's fashion show last semester!

Ruijingya (Rebecca) Tang — Class Year: 2021, Position: Arts Editor, Major: Biology, Mainly covers: Film and gallery exhibitions

Why Arts?: My very unbiased opinion: it is the most free Daily section! Also, writing about films, festivals and exhibitions helps me make the most out of seeing or attending them.

Favorite Movie: "Brokeback Mountain" (2005)

Best Thing I've Seen Recently: “Shoplifters” (2018); it integrates multiple themes (poverty, familial ties, the origin of love ...) so well in one poignant narrative.

Fun Arts Fact: I painted a portrait of my grandparents over winter break.

Yas Salon — Class Year: 2022, Position: Assistant Arts Editor, Major: Film and media studies, Mainly covers: Film and television

Why Arts?: The opportunity to attend tons of interesting arts events and having an excuse to constantly be watching movies.

Favorite Movie: "The Babadook" (2014)

Best Thing I've Seen Recently: "Hereditary" (2018)! I finally got around to watching it and I adore the style, narrative, cast and pretty much everything else about it. I love horror, so this movie was perfect for me.

Fun Arts Fact: I love to embroider and upcycle vintage clothing.

John Fedak — Class Year: 2019, Position: Arts Editor, Major: English, Mainly covers: Wide-release films, TV shows, Netflix originals 

Why Arts?: I’ve never met such a group of functionally chaotic, yet truly wonderful people before; the big personalities drew me in and convinced me to stay! 

Favorite Movie: "The Return of the King" (2003) ... but really all the LoTR films.

Best Thing I’ve Seen Recently: Netflix’s “The Umbrella Academy” (2019) is not only engaging and delightfully weird, but also it features some of the best cinematography and music I’ve seen in a long time. 

Fun Arts Fact: I have yet to watch "Black Panther" (2018) or "Infinity War" (2018).

Christopher Panella — Class Year: 2021, Position: Arts Editor, Major: Film and media studies/English, Mainly covers: Music, concerts, film, television, badly written think-pieces

Why Arts?: I’ve always dreamed of being Anton Ego from “Ratatouille” (2007), and now I get to do that. I really like music, especially writing about Ariana Grande and all her “yuhs,” and I so enjoy adding my opinion to things where no one really wants to hear them. Arts is where I get to do that!

Favorite Movie: "The Parent Trap" (1998) (the one with Lindsay Lohan)

Best Thing I’ve Seen Recently: "The Favourite" (2018); it was hilarious, extremely well-written and the production design was literally amazing. Give Olivia Coleman the Oscar, you cowards!

Fun Arts Fact: I’ve seen every Star Wars film over 15 times.

Steph Hoechst — Class Year: 2021, Position: Arts Editor, Major: Film and media studies/English, Mainly covers: On-campus arts events

Why Arts?: I love getting to talk to so many interesting people and hear about the artistic work they're doing on campus!

Favorite Movie: "The Grand Budapest Hotel" (2014)

Best Thing I've Seen Recently: "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" (2018) blew my mind. It reinvented animation and was unlike anything I'd seen before.

Fun Arts Fact: I love Halloween and I make my own costume every year.  This past Halloween I went as Ferris Bueller.

Danny Klain — Class Year: 2020, Position: Assistant Arts Editor, Major: Film and media studies, Mainly Covers: Television and streaming content

Why Arts?: Critiquing art makes you have a better understanding and appreciation of all media.

Favorite Movie:"There Will Be Blood" (2007)

Best Thing I've Seen Recently: "The Informant" (2009); Soderbergh is able to dive into so many different genres and it's funny and perceptive.

Fun Arts Fact: My hometown is Chevy Chase, but is in no way connected to the actor.

Tommy Gillespie — Class Year: 2020, Position: Arts Editor, Major: English, Mainly covers: Film, television, stand-up comedy, drama

Why Arts?: It’s the section that covers what’s going on in the world of creation and innovation, and it’s got the best group of people I could have asked for.

Favorite Movie: "20th Century Women" (2016)

Best Thing I've Seen Recently: "Roma" (2018). The cinematography and acting are beautifully naturalistic and melancholy, and the score and story are empathetic, real and heartbreaking in the best way.

Fun Arts Fact: I’ve seen every James Bond movie.

Setenay Mufti — Class Year: 2019, Position: Arts Editor, Major: Greek and Latin, Mainly covers: Film, museum and gallery exhibits

Why ArtsI like being able to choose what I want to write about, be it an old movie think-piece or a small on-campus event.

Favorite Movie: "A Serious Man" (2009)

Best Thing I've Seen Recently: The short film "Detainment" (2018). If you don’t know anything yet about the background of this movie, don’t research it — it’s worth it to walk in blind. Prepare to be truly and deeply rattled.

Fun Arts Fact: When my father showed me — “Jaws” (1975) for the first time at age six, he said, “Don’t worry, the kid doesn’t die.” I’ve been traumatized ever since.