'Othello' at A.R.T. allows Shakespeare’s words to shine

ART
Alejandra Escalante and Chris Butler in the American Repertory Theater's Oregon Shakespeare Festival production of 'Othello.'

Content warning: This review discusses racism and gender-based violence.

One of the beautiful things about the work of William Shakespeare is that it’s in the public domain, and therefore artists are free to adapt, edit and perform it at will. Theatre companies can update the setting, cut and rearrange the play, or even add scenes to create a dialogue with texts from over 400 years ago. However, sometimes the most powerful production of a Shakespeare play is one that lets the text speak for itself.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s (OSF) production of “Othello,” currently playing at the American Repertory Theater in Harvard Square, presents the famous tragedy with minimal cuts, clocking in a runtime of a little over three hours. The play is updated to a contemporary time period, but there is no flashy concept choice or major edits to the text. Instead, the company puts on a well-acted, compelling performance that highlights the continued relevance of Shakespeare’s work.

“Othello” centers around the titular character, a Moorish general in the Venetian army, and his scheming ensign Iago. Iago, furious that Othello promoted Cassio to lieutenant instead of him, devises a plan to trick Othello into believing his wife Desdemona is having an affair with Cassio. Jealousy drives Othello mad, eventually leading him to kill his own wife. When Iago’s plan comes to light and Othello realizes what he’s done, he takes his own life.

By presenting the text nearly in full, OSF’s “Othello” highlights how deeply themes of racism and xenophobia are woven into the play. While Othello, a Black immigrant, outwardly has earned society’s respect, other characters constantly comment on his heritage, sometimes outwardly mocking his accent and using slurs. Members of the predominantly white Venetian society in particular take issue with his marriage to Desdemona, a white woman. Iago capitalizes on Othello’s feelings of insecurity and otherness to manipulate him into believing that Desdemona does not really love him. The social context of the play adds complex layers to the tragedy, highlighting the dangers of bigotry and alienation while also maintaining Othello’s accountability for the violence he commits.

The key to getting these themes across lies in the phenomenal acting from the OSF cast. These actors are known as some of the best Shakespeareans in the U.S., lending dynamics and clarity to the bard’s long soliloquies and complex language. Chris Butler plays the titular character with captivating sincerity, making him so likeable that the violence he displays later in the play is even more upsetting. Danforth Comins’ Iago possesses an almost manic energy, allowing him to transition smoothly from his outward image as a charismatic soldier to the unhinged villain he proves to be in his asides to the audience. Alejandra Escalante plays an outgoing and quick-witted Desdemona. Watching her slowly realize that her beloved husband now poses a danger to her is one of the most heartbreaking aspects of a very tragic play.

“Othello” is masterfully directed by Bill Rauch, OSF's current artistic director. The three-hour play goes by quickly thanks to the brisk pace and use of humor throughout. Rauch and the actors strike a great balance between the need for a heightened tone to match Shakespeare’s words and the more natural acting style that audiences are accustomed to today. Importantly, the production doesn’t gloss over any of the play’s ugliness, particularly in Othello’s treatment of Desdemona. The moment where he strangles her to death is brutal and unflinching. The portrayal is extremely difficult to watch, but it avoids the all-too-common trope of romanticizing a female character’s death. The set design and costumes are well-done but not showy, allowing the audience to focus on the story and the language.

The OSF production of “Othello” is not particularly innovative or radical, and that’s okay. By presenting the play in its near-entirety with top-notch acting, smart directing and sleek design, “Othello” allows viewers to revel in the power of Shakespeare’s writing. The plot reflects the issues that plagued society in the 17th century: racism, bigotry and violence against women. Watching “Othello” in 2019 brings a painful awareness that perhaps we have not come that far after all.

Summary With top-notch acting and simple design, “Othello” at the A.R.T prompts audiences to reflect on the continued relevance of Shakespeare’s social commentary.