Netflix limited series 'Maniac' provides suspense despite excessive complexity

Screen-Shot-2018-09-30-at-4.37.55-PM
A scene from 'Maniac' with Jonah Hill is pictured.

The mind can be solved," Dr. James Mantleray (Justin Theroux) said. It’s a lofty goal, but then again not much about "Maniac" is really grounded. Set in a futuristic New York City, "Maniac" focuses on two participants in a drug trial, their haunting pasts and their unusual connection. We are first introduced to Owen Milgrim (Jonah Hill), a lonely schizophrenic who believes it is his destiny to save the world. Convinced the trial is the next step towards his fate, Owen journeys to the testing facility, where he meets Annie Landsberg (Emma Stone), an unemployed habitual drug user who has pressured her way into the same drug trial, blackmailing someone in the process. While Owen is anxious and quiet, Annie is aggressive and outspoken, establishing an entertaining juxtaposition of personalities.

The drug being tested is potentially miraculous; if the trial proves successful, there will no longer be any need for therapy. However, despite the fascinating aspects of the trial, such as induced dreams reminiscent of "Inception" (2010) and an empathetic artificial intelligence that can shed actual tears, the relationship between Owen and Annie remains the focal point throughout the series. As the trial continues, we learn more about the two and watch their connection develop and grow stronger. Due to a hardware malfunction the two are able to enter each other's dreams, and each learns much about the other's tragic history and emotional turmoil, making their eventual bond seems inevitable. Unfortunately, however, even the combined acting abilities of Hill and Stone are ultimately not enough to save the less impressive elements of the show.

The plot is so complex and interconnected that it is impossible for viewers not to become confused. Moreover, the show is riddled with layers of hidden meanings and insinuations --perhaps a metaphorical representation of the mind, requiring the audience's complete attention to understand even the smallest detail. The cinematography also supports the idea of the show as a puzzle to be solved, as the camera often lingers on images or references that reappear throughout the series. This begs the question that if the whole point of a show is to solve a puzzle, is there really any reason it needs to be told through the medium of television? If "Maniac" were condensed into a short film, or existed as a novel, the story might not be as convoluted.

Nevertheless, the directing greatly improves the quality of the show. Director Cary Joji Fukunaga, best-known for the first season of HBO’s gruesomely dark "True Detective" (2014), brings an entirely different visual palate into play for "Maniac." With beautiful, sharp images and rooms overwhelmingly consumed by color, the show gorgeously expresses an entire range of emotions without having to rely on its actors. Much effort was also dedicated to the construction of the set, echoing that of "Blade Runner 2048" (2017).

Despite its lofty goals, where "Maniac" succeeds is in the delivery of its most grounded message: connection. The show begins and ends with the message that we all strive for human connection and that we cannot be whole without it. The world of "Maniac" has created an economy out of the desire for companionship: One company, the aptly named Friend Proxy, rents out its employees to pretend to be the friends of its users. This message about the importance of real-life connection feels incredibly relevant in the age of social media, which has created a large divide between people. Although the artificiality of the trial does not have much of an effect on the lives of Owen or Annie as individuals, the show ends with the two joyfully united, reinforcing the idea that if we acknowledge our shared emotional pain and seek relationships, we too will be at our happiest.

Summary While "Maniac" can be complex and confusing at times, it is grounded in reality and visually stunning. Anchored by Emma Stone, the show doesn't need to be a must-watch but could be an enjoyable watch for most.
3.5 Stars