Cheeses of Suburbia: Thnks Fr Th Stcks

zach-and-brady

Zachary Hertz (ZH): Welcome back! This week’s guest is Robert Hoover, a beleaguered sophomore who, as an athlete, physics major, percussion hero and campus celeb, proves you really can have it all, as long as you don’t sleep! Today’s another pop punk classic: Fall Out Boy's (FOB) “Infinity On High" (2007). 

Robert Hoover (RH): I’m not accustomed to mozzarella sticks or pop punk, so it’s interesting to experience both at once. You wouldn’t think vocals with a large pop influence go with an instrumental that is straight-up metal punk, but you really appreciate it once you get into it.

Brady Shea (BS): It’s like sweet and savory, or pineapple on pizza. You realize it isn’t that bad.

ZH: Eh, I haven’t tried pineapple on pizza as much as I’ve tried listening to FOB but I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that.

BS: Do you ever hear music and flash back to high school? That’s me when I hear their pre-2012 albums. "Hum Hallelujah" (2007) is a super emotional song hiding behind a traditional pop punk jam, comparing Pete Wentz’s suicide attempt to a marriage or commitment you might regret. Also, hot take, but "Thriller" (2007) is the best way to open an album.

ZH: Of course Thnks Fr Th Mmrs” and “This Ain’t A Scene are some FOB classics, but "Bang The Doldrums” is my stealth favorite, a breakup anthem, and -- fun fact -- originally written for "Shrek 2" (2004).

RH: Honestly any 12/8 song is a jam -- since it has to be swung it’s always pushing the beat.

ZH: And if this moment were a song, it’d be The Take Over, The Breaks Overbecause our sticks have arrived from Espresso’s.

BS: Pretty typical mozzarella stick -- definitely better than last week’s.

RH: They’re pretty creamy if you go at it without sauce and really work it. The mouthfeel is really interesting at first but if you keep working at it, it gets a bit softer.

ZH: Let’s check out the 'hotzerella' sticks. These are lowkey the reason I have to diet.

BS: Yeah, 'hotzerella' sticks have been and always will be my favorites -- it’s the closest mozzarella sticks will ever get to a 10 out of 10 for me.

RH: They’re definitely better than the original. I used to eat Takis all the time but I’m starting to view spicy foods as a gimmick. It’s definitely a seven or eight out of 10 though, and I am a fan of the ranch. Overall, I’m a big fan of the mozzarella sticks and while I’m less passionate about the album, it makes me wish I got into pop punk.

BS: Yeah, this is a top five pop punk album. 'Hotzerella' sticks are also a top five food around Tufts campus, and I wish I could think of something clever to wrap it up but I’m kinda fried.

ZH: Just like these sticks, am I right? And since I have no shame when it comes to bad attempts at wordplay, when thinking about a night with “Infinity On High,” hotzerella sticks and Robert, I’ve gotta say thanks for the memories.