A Column From a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Episode 6

“For everything you gain, you lose something else.” This is one of my favorite opening quotes from “The Clone Wars” (2008–2014) animated series and it surely applies to this week’s Star Wars announcements. From big changes for the future of the saga to sad but necessary goodbyes, here are a few of the top moments in one of the biggest-ever news weeks for fans.

Last Monday, “Rebels” (2014–2018) aired its last episode, and boy was it truly fantastic. Before I continue, there are spoilers for the finale, so beware. Many of my predictions were, thankfully, incorrect. Ahsoka was the most difficult prediction, considering we hadn’t seen her for two seasons, but no one could have predicted the introduction of time travel into the canon and Ezra saving her. Ezra’s mysterious fate definitely leaves space for a future book or new series, especially since “Rebels” executive producer Dave Filoni confirmed that he survived the finale.

Considering that Jedi Ezra survived and Jedi-trained Ahsoka is shown to be alive after “Return of the Jedi” (1983), there’s so much area to cover and so many options for future series. Personally, I’d like an explanation as to the newly established error in “Return of the Jedi” when Yoda tells Luke he is the last of the Jedi. Sorry, Yoda, but with Ezra and Ahsoka alive, that statement is false. Maybe we’ll get a book or a comic series concluding these characters’ arcs. (Or maybe give Ahsoka her own movie?)

With “Rebels” gone, a new series begins. Jon Favreau, the director of “Iron Man” (2008), is getting his own live-action series to be exclusively shown on Disney’s new streaming platform. This is not only a great way to advertise the streaming service but also a great way to explore new territory in the canon. My personal hope is for a series set before the prequels, preferably around the Old Republic. The original trilogy is far too occupied with stories, and it’s time to show the prequels a little love.

Finally, John Williams is officially retiring from scoring the saga after Episode 9, as he confirmed to radio station KUSC this past week. Williams actually told the station that he didn’t know there would be sequels when he originally scored “A New Hope” (1977) and that he ultimately agreed to score “The Last Jedi” (2017) because his new favorite character, Rey, was returning and would be a major player in the sequel trilogy.

Williams did not compose “Rogue One” (2016) or “Solo” (2018). Both were composed by new composers who used much of the previously established Star Wars music for the films, which is interesting. Williams leaving the series definitely raises the question of whether or not a new composer will take the helm and create new scores, or if future composers of the series will continue to use Williams’ original score and alter it slightly.

With such a busy news week, I want to hear your thoughts! Feel free to contact me, and may the force be with you!