Sneak peek: orientation productions '[title of show]' and 'Stop Kiss'

aftertherevolution
(Courtesy Blair Nodelman)

Between awkward icebreakers, Target runs and meals with your pre-orientation family, your orientation week can fill up fast. If you're looking for entertainment and a peek into the campus arts scene, take some time out of your day this Sunday and Monday to catch one (or both!) of the orientation shows presented by Torn Ticket II and 3Ps (Pen, Paint and Pretzels), two of Tufts’ student-run theater groups. Here's a sneak preview of what they have in store:

[title of show]

Torn Ticket II will greet the class of 2021 with two performances of "[title of show]," the one-act, post-modern comedy musical that chronicles its own creation as an entry into the New York Musical Theater Festival through the struggles of its author, lyricist and stars. After debuting in New York in 2004, "[title of show]" has been performed all around the world and has found its way to the Balch Arena stage at Tufts. The show's director, sophomore Jonah Greene, believes that its exploration of identity and musical theater is particularly valuable for incoming first-year students.

"College, and freshman year in particular, can be overwhelming and confusing, and you might be tempted to compromise part of who you are in order to find your place," Greene told the Daily in an email. "This show emphasizes being proud of yourself and your art no matter what, and you should never compromise that."

Greene believes the show is "silly, weird and laugh-out-loud funny," but also notes that it is earnest and unapologetically optimistic at its core, making it particularly appealing for those feeling overwhelmed by the "hectic world" around us.

"This is a story of friendship, creative expression, risk and following your dreams," Greene said. "We see a group of friends decide to make a piece of art together, and although there are bumps along the way, they finally realize that they love what they've made together. They find the perfect balance between following their dreams and staying true to themselves, their friends, and their art."

Stop Kiss

Tufts' oldest student-run theater organization, 3Ps, will take the stage with two performances of "Stop Kiss," the dark and experimental 1998 play that focuses on the story of Sara and Callie, two women who are assaulted on the street after their first kiss. Directed by graduate students Dan Ciba and Jenny Herron, Tufts' "Stop Kiss" will explore the complexity of human compassion and emotion through the struggle of a few individuals, but at a particularly volatile time in the nation's social and political history.

Senior Kristin Reeves, who is both the president of 3Ps and the actress playing Sara in the show, hopes that "Stop Kiss" will resonate with first-years processing a time of deep introspection and change.

"This show deals with a lot of hard themes, homophobia and violence being the most notable, but it also looks at relationships, love, change, and fighting for yourself," Reeves said. "The characters are all dealing with an incredibly difficult [attack] and are forced to go through a lot of self-reflection and growth in order to be able to cope with it. I know, at least for myself, freshman year was a time of growth and self-reflection because it was just so different from my life in the past, so it definitely connects [with the first-year experience]."

“[title of show]” will be performed on Sept. 3 at 9 p.m. and Sept. 4 at 2 p.m. “Stop Kiss” will be performed on Sept. 3 at 7 p.m. and Sept. 4 at 4 p.m. The Sept. 4 show of "Stop Kiss" will be followed by a Q&A with current drama and 3Ps students. All shows will be performed in the Balch Arena Theater in the Aidekman Arts Center, and are free and open to the public.