5 revivals worse than ‘Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life’

Beloved dramedy “Gilmore Girls” (2000-2007) returned to Netflix with four new 90-minute episodes on Nov. 25. The revival, titled “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life,” has quickly become one of the most talked-about series this year. So far, reactions are mixed. Fans are calling the new season misogynistic, its characters annoying and its plotlines nonsensical. While "Gilmore Girls: A Year In the Life" deserves a solid “meh,” here are five revivals to prove you it could have been much worse:

1. "Sex and the City: The Movie" (2008) and "Sex and the City 2" (2010): The original HBO show had its own flaws: Its feminism did not apply to most women of color, it had horrible caricatures of gay men (oh Stanford...) and it was unashamedly materialistic. Yet, the show also explored female sexuality in a way other shows could not. The movie franchise that followed the series is, to say the least, a hot mess. With aggravating name drops and cold, unrelatable characters, the movies felt more like an introduction to a Bret Easton Ellis novel than the show fans fell in love with.

2. "Fuller House" (2016-present): Every year, network TV airs a “traditional family sitcom” reminiscent of 80s hits "Full House" (1987-1995) and "The Cosby Show" (1984-1992). These antiquated shows, without exception, now get panned by critics and are ultimately featured in "worst-of-the-year" lists. It is truly mind-boggling that the same platform that brought “House of Cards” (2013-present) and “Orange Is The New Black” (2013-present) decided to follow this trend by reviving the original "Full House." "Fuller House" is everything a 21st-century show should not be: It is too conventional, cliché and unfunny.

3. "Arrested Development" (2003-present): Prior to its 2013 revival, "Arrested Development" topped “cancelled too soon” lists following its third season. Yet, the fourth season of the show was an utter disappointment; due to time restrictions and other commitments, cast members were barely in the same scene together. As a result, the show’s signature awkward family interactions were replaced by sloppy individual arcs. Hopefully, the show will make it right with the upcoming fifth season.

4. "Heroes Reborn" (2015-2016): To put it simply, a "Heroes" (2006-2010) revival was unnecessary. Although the original show’s first season garnered massive mainstream attention, ratings of following seasons quickly plummeted, and the show failed to stay relevant. Reviving the show did not make any sense, for unlike other shows on this list, the show never reached cult status in the first place.

5. "Melrose Place" (2009-2010): Remember the "Melrose Place" (1992-1999) revival starring Ashlee Simpson (whose SNL lip sync fail is the best thing about early the 2000s)? The show’s 18-episode season is frustratingly dull and forgettable, except for the brilliant Katie Cassidy. If the "Melrose Place" reboot focused on the original cast instead of the new generation and aired on a different network, it might have been a success, but poor casting choices made the show a "Gossip Girl" (2007-2012) rip-off.