Style Spotlight: Eliza Hamilton-Fairley

Parker

Eliza Hamilton-Fairley is a first-year from the U.K. who spoke with me about her passion for face painting, British fashion and her favorite London shops.

Parker Selman (PS): How would you describe your personal style?

Eliza Hamilton-Fairley (EHF): I don't really know how to describe my style because I basically wear anything that I think is cool and I like, meaning it varies a lot. I would say it's quite individual. I don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes, so the stores I go to at home are normally one-off shops I find. However, I do buy clothing and accessories off of Amazon quite often. They're not super high quality, but they're cheap and often kind of weird which I like.

PS: What is your favorite piece of clothing?

EHF: My favorite piece of clothing would have to be a maxi yellow wrap skirt because it's very loose and has a vibrant pattern

PS: Where are you from?

EHF: I’m from Hampshire, which is about 40 minutes outside of London.

PS: Does being from London change your personal style?

EHF: It definitely has influenced my fashion sense because you can literally find anything there. Whatever style you go for, you can find it. I wouldn't say my style is necessarily British or classic London because the two main styles for young people in London are either high fashion or grunge, whereas I am more experimental. I would also say I'm not typical British and more American in the sense I love dressing up. I always have a series of costumes and accessories for any occasion; basically half my clothes coming out to the States were things I could wear as costumes. I am a face paint fanatic, so it's really fun to be in a country where holidays like Halloween are taken so seriously, so I am not alone in going all out.

PS: How did you get into face painting?

EHF: It just started as a hobby and eventually grew into a passion. I can pretty much do any design, pattern or artwork when it comes to face paint. I absolutely love doing face paint on others as well, so if anyone is interested, message me on Facebook for face paint work at a fair price.

PS: Has being at Tufts changed your style?

EHF: I went through a lot of phases before what I wear now, some were pretty horrendous. My style probably has changed a bit because I don't have any of my local stores to go to, so I haven't really done any shopping since I've been here, meaning I haven't been able to find new weird stuff to wear.

PS: What is your favorite store?

EHF: Well, the only store I've basically been to since I’ve arrived in Boston is the Buffalo Exchange, which I'm sure most people know. To be fair though, you can find some great prices in there, and it's only in Davis, which is great if you're as lazy as I am. London does have incredible shopping, so it's hard to name only a few shops, but I guess my favorites would be the Goodhood and Dolls Kill.