'Archer P.I.' makes vice and spy work funny

When show creator Adam Reed spilled some beans about the new season of “Archer” (2009-present) at San Diego Comic Con a few months ago, he gave fans reason to be excited — as if they needed more than the return of one of television’s best anti-heroes. He called the seventh season, which premiered March 31, a “refreshing” of the show. “Archer Vice,” the fifth and arguably best season of the animated spy comedy, had already prepared audiences for drastic, nostalgic and totally wacko pivots from the showrunners. Here, change is good.

A couple months go by, and the first teaser trailer arrives: a montage of typically atypical “Archer” shenanigans reminiscent of the montage in the “Archer Vice” season premiere — apparently the more things change, the more they stay the same. This time, however, the inspiration comes from another seminal crime drama, “Magnum P.I.” (1980-1988), among others. The show is pretty much constantly referencing someone somewhere, especially itself in its seventh season premiere.

The former ISIS (a fictional spy agency, not the Islamic terrorist group), former band of drug smugglers and former CIA team, has jumped to the West Coast and landed in Los Angeles for the show’s refresh. Now working under the “Figgis Agency” banner as private investigators, it would be fair to say that the group is overqualified for their new vocation – or not? It’s really hard to tell if everyone in this show is really good or just downright terrible at their jobs. On the one hand, almost everything ends as it should, while, on the other hand, there are numerous unprofessional (yes, that is a euphemism) missteps along the way.

Qualifications aside, Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) and co. are pretty much exactly as they’ve always been. Even though Figgis (Chris Parnell) is technically in charge of the new office — his name is literally written on the wall – he is most definitely not in charge of the team. The writers packed the season premiere with running jokes that will never get old for the “Archer” audience, including the infamous “phrasing” gag. Booze and drugs are still tent poles of the show’s one liners. For instance, when Archer offers a drink to the client, she refuses on the grounds that it is too early in the morning, to which Archer responds that he is still on East Coast time (good save, Mr. Archer).

The second episode builds on the story line established in the premiere, but it is unclear if the season will continue pulling this string. One new aspect of the current season that will prevail are the retro scene transitions — sunset colored spy silhouettes that swing in and out of a black background. While it is all well and good for the animators to pay homage to their source material, these transitions disrupt the show’s characteristically buttery flow. Also changed are the sets and costumes, yet these allow the writers to make some great new jokes; it’s hard to see how jodhpurs could be the conceit for a joke, but it’s a good thing that someone came up with it. And this is what is so great about “Archer”: if you think you know every joke or twist the show can throw at you, it’s going to surprise you.

Overall, the sets and costumes may be completely different, but the first couple episodes of “Archer P.I.” makes it clear that the show is the same as ever. New scenery and outfits may change the show’s aesthetic, but the storytelling and humor are spot on.

Catch "Archer" on FX at 10 p.m. on Thursdays.

Summary The sets and costumes may be completely different, but the first couple episodes of “Archer P.I.” makes it clear that the show is the same as ever - and that's a good thing.