'Zootopia' provides humor, heart, social commentary — something for everybunny

24996620254_3b350bc13f_b

Sometimes the hidden meanings in allegories are subtle and so expertly woven into the story that you barely even pick up on the message being presented to you. This was not the case in "Zooptopia." There was nothing subtle about the delivery of its social commentary. Maybe it would go over a child’s head (as is often the case in films aimed at children), but the movie’s underlying theme appeals more to older audience members. When the movie isn’t slapping you in the face with its commentary, it boasts pop culture references, funny one-liners and anthropomorphic animals. And that made for a perfectly entertaining two hours.

"Zootopia" takes place in an all-mammal society where animals of all shapes and sizes, predators and prey alike, live in apparent harmony.The story centers on plucky rabbit Judy Hopps (voiced by Ginnifer Goodwin), whose lifelong dream has been to become a police officer. She eventually accomplishes her goal, becoming the first bunny to become an officer, but is quickly relegated to meter maid dutywhile her predator co-officers hunt for 14 missing animals.Judy decides to conduct her own search for the animals, however, and enlists / blackmails a hustling fox named Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) to help her. They then piece together that all the animals that are missing are predators who have “gone savage:” they have returned to all fours and are attacking prey.Judy then concludes that there may be something biological about predators that makes them prone to “go savage,” and therefore they are all a possible danger to society and specifically to prey.

This is where the commentary on race relations in the United States really comes to play. The predators are painted as untrustworthy and prone to violence -- a bias that not-so-coincidentally echoes racist attitudes pervasive in American society. This aspect of the movie also speaks to the power of fear, and to the way fear can turn people (or animals) against each other. A scene with a mother rabbit pulling her child away from a tiger on the subway is particularly poignant. Though the parallels between "Zootopia" and the real world are sometimes slightly muddled, overall, the movie is successful in getting its point across.

This movie clearly caters to children and adults alike, but probably provides a fuller experience for adults. As with many movies aimed for children, the surface story appeals to the younger audience, while the more subtle elements, like the discussion of race relations, will be better understood by adults. "Zootopia" also includes some lighter references parents will likely chuckle at, including one scene that is straight out of "Breaking Bad" (2008-2013) and another that is a play on "The Godfather" (1972). "Zootopia" is also replete with clever has “blink-and-you’ll-miss-it” moments, like a sign for Zuber (“getting party animals home safely”), and includes jabs at other Disney movies, including "Frozen" (2013). The film's funniest scene, however, involves Judy taking a trip to the DMV to have a license plate run, only to discover that the entire DMV is run by sloths. The encounter is excruciatingly slow and almost painful to watch, but in the best way possible.

"Zooptopia" also boasts an all-star cast. Along with Goodwin and Bateman, the movie includes the voices of Idris Elba (Chief Bogo), Jenny Slate (Assistant Mayor Bellwether), J.K. Simmons (Mayor Lionheart) and Octavia Spencer (Mrs. Otterton). It also features Shakira as famous Zootopia pop star Gazelle, who performs the movie's original song, “Try Everything.”It’s not “Let It Go”  (2013) of "Frozen" fame -- and the lyrics probably could have been written by a fifth grader -- but you’ll still be humming it the rest of the day.

"Zootopia" is probably not going to enter the animated hall of fame, like "Finding Nemo" (2003) or "Toy Story" (1995) have. The film's important political message could have been more smoothly presented, but "Zootopia" was a well-paced, fun watch and certainly worth a viewing. Just ask the seven-year-old kid in this reviewer's theater who, during the ending credits, stood up and exclaimed, “This was the best movie yet!” He was probably hopped up on sugar from the Airheads Xtremes he had just inhaled, but, hey, he seemed wise.

Summary