Superhero blockbuster 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' is worth skipping

ENTER_BATMAN-SUPERMAN-MOVIE-REVIEW_MCTweb
Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill in "Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice."

In one of the many trailers for “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which hit theaters on March 25,  Lex Luthor (a poorly casted Jesse Eisenberg) sums up the impending matchup between the Dark Knight and Man of Steel as the “the greatest gladiator match in the history of the world.” For those expecting anything but a slugfest, prepare to be disappointed; this movie is simply an affront to both moviegoers and comic book fans across the world.

Compared to the relatively spotless cinematic universe built by Marvel Studios over the past couple of years,Warner Bros. Pictures has not been even remotely successful in creating something similar for its DC Comics properties. The critically acclaimed "The Dark Knight" trilogy ended up being just that: three self-contained, gritty Batman films that represented a complete arc for the character. Other attempts to get DC superheroes on the silver screen resulted in the utter catastrophes that were “Superman Returns” (2006) and “Green Lantern” (2011). 2013’s “Man of Steel” was supposed right the ship in regard to Warner Bros.’ failed efforts, yet even that effort was not warmly received, to say the least.

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” thus represents the latest attempt by Warner Bros. to actually forge a cinematic universe for DC Comics. However, with a $250 million budget, this superhero matchup is far too unstable for Warner Bros. to place bet on entirely. Leading up to the release of the film, Warner Bros. seemingly sought to market its movie in such a way that it would be “too big to fail” on release; trailers included everything but the film’s lackluster ending, which left little to surprise the viewer.

Yet it is the directorial decisions of Zack Snyder that really stop “Batman v Superman” from being anything close to a joyful movie. Snyder has always been known for his highly stylized approach to filmmaking, most noticeably on display in the myth he constructs with “300” (2007) and the comic book aesthetic he uses in “Sucker Punch” (2011). Even though Snyder’s style is unequivocally unique, the glaring problem lies in his lack of understanding both good characterization and his past mistakes. In particular, Snyder repeats many of the same crimes he committed in directing “Man of Steel" in his newest project: "Batman v Superman" is overburdened by its 151-minute runtime and utterly misuses characters like Jimmy Olsen (Michael Cassidy).

Another fundamental problem with this DC blockbuster is the casting for its two leads. Both Henry Cavill (Superman) and Ben Affleck (Batman) simply fail to understand what drives their respective characters. While Superman is supposed to be a beacon for humanity, Cavill seems to reject this notion in an effort to embrace the character’s godlier aspects, which only works to create boredom and flat emotions. Even more egregious is Affleck’s characterization of Batman. His take borders on the juvenile and completely misses the mark on the character’s intellectual prowess.

Thankfully, the saving graces of the film come in the form of its two lead actresses, Amy Adams and Gal Gadot. After being one of the few positives in “Man of Steel,” Adams returns once more to play a Lois Lane who, though a mere human, is much more capable than her superhero co-stars. Yet if there is one reason to see this almost-unwatchable film it is the big screen debut of Wonder Woman, played by Gadot. Almost four decades have passed since the Amazon Princess last appeared on the television series “Wonder Woman” (1975-1979), but Gadot does not let the audience down with her spectacular portrayal of the iconic superheroine. Her fight scene alone is the absolute highlight of the movie as she embodies the grace and strength of Diana in a way that leaves Cavill and Affleck completely in the dust.

Despite the negative response of critics towards “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” the superhero extravaganza has somehow managed to shatter box office records and make over $500 million worldwide. Moreover, Warner Bros. still has subsequent DC films in the pipeline, including “Wonder Woman” (2016) and “Justice League Part One” (2017). As viewers anxiously wait to see if Warner Bros. can avoid yet another screw-up, this reviewer suggests saving one’s money and time by instead re-watching the classic cartoon series “Justice League” (2001-2004). Not only is it infinitely more enjoyable, but the show perfectly captures the essence of superheroes: hope.

Summary Not even the live action debut of Wonder Woman can save “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” from its dull, contrived take on a brawl between the Bat of Gotham and Son of Krypton.