The ABC's of Literature: Liane Moriarty

Natalie-Girshman

First of all, let me establish one thing: I have little use for the term “chick lit.” It's a term that seems to induce instant eye rolls and condescending sighs from people, often “important male writers” with an aura of self-satisfaction who reason that the only really important issues to write about are traditionally masculine ones. Romance, children, family, career, all the things that consume our everyday lives...apparently, those can't be possibly make for literature. True, sometimes books that get classified as chick lit are simply fun, funny light reads, perfect for relaxing with at the end of a long day. But some books tucked away under that classification talk about more serious issues and include keenly observed psychological studies of their main characters while still being engaging and accessible reads. A perfect example of cerebral chick lit and one of my favorite discoveries of the past yearn is the Australian author Liane Moriarty.

Moriarty's earlier books, like the absolutely charming “What Alice Forgot” (2010), are perhaps a little lighter but all of her writing is simply so smart. Her characters, especially the women at the center of her books, are remarkably complex and vivid as she carefully blends telling details and snappy dialogues into lively portraits. By the end of each of her books, I found myself expecting to meet one of her characters walking around the corner or sitting down at a coffee shop, brought to life by the author's skill.

Her breakthrough came with “The Husband's Secret” (2013), which I bought as part of a “buy two, get one free” deal at a sprawling English bookstore and then promptly spent a day and a half compulsively reading. “The Husband's Secret” revolves around Cecilia, an accomplished businesswoman and mother whose world is overturned when she discovers a letter her husband wrote to be opened in the event of his death. It's quite a funny book, especially when Moriarty observes the intricacies of day-to-day family life, but it's also quite insightful and serious, when it comes to examining how the secrets we keep from both each other and ourselves. If you're looking to plunge right into this author's work, one of her most popular novels might be the perfect place to start.

Moriarty's most recent novel is “Big Little Lies” (2014), and it's frankly fantastic. It focuses on three women: Madeline, a force of nature dealing with the fact that her teenage daughter seems to prefer Madeline's ex-husband and his infuriatingly calm new wife to her, Celeste, whose seemingly perfect life comes at a high price; Jane, a single mother who seems sadder than she should be. Don't let the title and candy-colored cover fool you. “Big Little Lies” is a book that deals with serious issues in an intelligent and thoroughly considered way. The solutions to these characters' problems are never easy, and the conflicts they go through are quite real. Yet somehow, it's also bitingly funny when it comes to exposing the hypocrisies and self-indulgences of today's parenting culture. The central mystery is well-paced and surprising, while the setting is carefully observed and simply put; all the elements combine to create a spectacular read, no matter what its genre.