Erykah Badu’s 'But You Caint Use My Phone' proves modern, soulful

Erykah_Badu_cs1
Erykah Badu is not afraid to be playful on her new mixtape, "But You Caint Use My Phone."

Erykah Badu’s newest release, an 11-track mixtape titled “But You Caint Use My Phone," is her second project of 2015 and the official follow-up to her fifth studio album, “New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh” (2010). Badu is most famous for her neo-soul records, including her debut “Baduizm” (1997), which went triple-platinum in the United States. She has also appeared as a guest on numerous R&B and hip-hop projects, collaborating with artists such as Common, The Roots, Outkast and Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment.

“But You Caint Use My Phone” is focused, quite exclusively, on telephones and the widespread dependence on them. The project is a fresh, eclectic blend of modern funk and soul tunes, utilizing old and new samples and guests.

It is immediately clear on “But You Cain't Use My Phone” that Erykah Badu is taking an informal approach to this project. That does not mean this mixtape is not pristine; her vocals are a perfect match for the production, which is a combination of modern sounds and funk. She is not afraid to remake songs and take her own playful stance on their subject matters. “Cel U Lar De Vice” is Badu’s remake of Drake’s “Hotline Bling” (2015), and it is nearly as successful as the original. Badu brings a new voice to the simple, upbeat banger. Her version is quite a bit longer and more colorful than Drake’s, as the beat changes multiple times before blossoming toward the end.

The samples on “But You Caint Use My Phone” really stand out, and the outline of shiny future house give them an odd, re-worked sound, as though Badu has taken a crate full of old school funk music, jumped into a time machine and zoomed straight to 2015. Besides the “Hotline Bling” sample and the numerous appearances by rapper ItsRoutine, who sounds very similar to Drake, there are many tracks with familiar riffs and electronic instrumentals. “U Don’t Have to Call” has a groovy bass chord progression that feels like an unused A Tribe Called Quest sample. The end of “Dial'Afreaq,” which draws from "Dial-A-Freak" by Uncle Jamm's Army and the Egyptian Lover and sounds awfully similar to parts of Afrika Bambaataa’s classic song “Planet Rock” (1982), works exceptionally well in a sea of telephone-related beeps. “Medley: What’s Yo Phone Number / Telephone (Ghost of Screw Mix)” is a nice, down-tempo track and a great change of pace from the more upbeat cuts on the project. The production reminds the listener of one of many a generic future house song that is popular today, many of which form intriguing soundscapes but do not deviate from a cookie-cutter formula. (Stwo’s “Lovin U” (2013) is comparable.) This mostly works, though, as telephone-related sounds can only dig so deep, and the subject matter is inherently a little cheesy.

“Hello” is also quite poignant. The final song on “But You Caint Use My Phone” gives listeners their first recognizable guest, as Andre 3000, her ex-partner, is set loose to rap like his old, energetic self. “Hello,” like many of the tracks on the mixtape, has an unconventional structure that, coupled with the song's light airiness, gives “But You Caint Use My Phone” a quirky elegance. Erykah Badu repeats the line “Don’t change, don’t change, squirrel,” which makes little sense, but it works as Andre 3000 and Erykah Badu’s chemistry seems real and believable. “But You Caint Use My Phone” sounds very modern, yet it reminds listeners of both Badu’s roots and her peers’ music. As a result, the mixtape makes for a very unique listen.

Summary Erykah Badu's newest mixtape, a collection of eleven telephone-centric songs combining funk and modern electronic sounds, makes for an intriguing listen.