Boston En Masse to showcase local music scene

For three days this week, Boston/Cambridge-based booking collective Illegally Blind will showcase some of the finest bands that the area has to offer. Called Boston En Masse, the mini music festival aims to bring the music community together to enjoy a variety of genres and acquaint concertgoers with up and coming bands along with well-known local groups.

Last night, the first night of Boston En Masse, featured the likes of Rick (from Pile), Dent and Milk at the Middle East in Cambridge. The only all-ages night of the festival, Wednesday night highlighted the versatility of the Boston music scene and allowed younger music fans to be a part of the event. Often, age restrictions prevent those who are underage from enjoying the music they love, so the inclusion of an all-ages date was tremendously important.

Partly, this step forward occurred thanks to Jason Trefts, founder of Illegally Blind, who also works as the booking agent for the Middle East. Trefts asserts that his goal with Illegally Blind is to “[create] a more united local music scene."  In an Allston Pudding article, Trefts said his approach with lineups is to place bands that would not normally play together on the same bill, so that fans will be exposed to different kinds of music.

The next two nights of Boston En Masse, though 18+, are great indicators of this philosophy. Tonight’s showcase will take place at the Great Scott in Allston, and will feature funky electronic noise punk band Guerilla Toss, the soulful Mal Devisa and garage punk duo Ursula. The headlining act for the festival's final day, Nov. 20, IAN is a Boston-based fuzz pop band, which will be joined by groups like Latin Americana trio Só Sol and Tufts’ own lo-fi surf rock boys, Castle Danger. With such a multifarious lineup, Boston En Masse is sure to entertain music fans from all backgrounds.

Tickets for the remaining nights are available for $12. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. on Thursday and at 6 p.m. on Friday.