Retelling old stories for a new age

Once upon a time, in a far away land, someone told a story. It was full of magic and curses, princesses and witches, quests and dragons and was probably much darker than the inevitable twentieth-century animated Disney version. Fairytales are some of the most enduring literary traditions around. Cinderella is still Cinderella, whether she loses her glass slipper in a French chateau or in a futuristic Beijing. Here are two books that breathe new life into old stories.

“The Girls at the Kingfisher Club” (2014) by Genevieve Valentine sets the story of the "Twelve Dancing Princesses" in 1920s New York City. During the day, the Hamilton sisters spend their time confined to the upper floors of their house and under the rule of their domineering father, but at night, they're legends among the speakeasies and dance clubs of Manhattan. This book captures the magic of both the original fairytale and of the mythos of the 1920s. It's filled with vivid period detail and written in a fluid, engaging style that keeps the fairy tale atmosphere alive while making the characters considerably more complex than the usual fairytale types. It's mostly told through the perspective of Jo, the oldest daughter and leader of all the sisters. Jo is the kind of character who doesn't appear as often in books as she should. Fiercely protective of her sisters, strong and determined, she's the complete opposite of the classic damsel in distress. Moreover, each Hamilton sister is a unique and interesting character, whether they fall in love with dancing or with the people they dance with, and it's refreshing to see the story transformed into one in which the women are more than capable of rescuing themselves.

Beauty and the Beast is one of the most commonly told fairytales, and “Cruel Beauty” (2014) by Rosamund Hodge is one of my favorites among the many retellings I've encountered. From the moment of her birth, Nyx has been promised to the demon lord Ignifex -- and from the moment of her birth, she's been trained to kill him. The world of this book, especially Ignifex's ever-shifting castle, is beautifully built, comprised of an inventive blend of fairytales and Greek mythology. “Cruel Beauty” also possesses a fascinating and tough heroine in Nyx, who's aware of both her flaws and her strengths and is able to see the complexities of her situation when she wants. Her relationship with Ignifex builds slowly and naturally and feels very true to both characters. It's easy to understand why she wants to kiss him one minute and kill him the next, as the chemistry between the characters builds and builds. This is one novel in which the romance feels like a natural and important part of the plot, rather than a writerly convention shoe-horned in out of obligation. Nyx's relationships with her family are just as worthy of attention as her romantic relationships, particularly her relationship with her sweet and sheltered sister. The plot is packed with intrigue and surprising twists. Combined with Hodge's skillful writing and compelling characters, this book makes for a consummate page-turner and truly unique retelling.