Angelina Jolie Pitt's latest directorial effort makes for risky disappointment

ENTER_MOVIE-HOLIDAYLIST_3_FR1
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie in "By the Sea."

When the news about "By The Sea," released Nov. 13, first arrived, it seemed clear that the movie wouldn’t be a sequel to “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” (2005). Angelina Jolie Pitt’s previous attempts at directing suggested that this movie would be more ambitious and less mainstream and, probably, slower paced. These assumptions are indeed correct; the movie takes risks, has a minimal compared to that of "Mr. & Ms. Smith" -- the last collaboration between Jolie Pitt and her husband Brad Pitt -- and is very slow. Yet, while ambitious, Jolie Pitt’s efforts fall short. The result is a disappointing, self-conscious and pretentious movie that relies too much on visuals. It is difficult to identify what exactly "By the Sea" fails to do, since the movie is all over the place.

Set in 1970s France, "By The Sea" follows the story of a couple, Roland, played by Pitt and Vanessa, played by Jolie Pitt. Roland is a writer struggling with writer’s block and Vanessa is a retired dancer. The couple arrives at a beautiful coastal hotel, where Roland hopes to start writing. It is understood immediately that the relationship between Roland and Vanessa is a very dysfunctional one. Vanessa, for unclear reasons, suffers from serious depression, and Roland is an alcoholic. The two aren’t able to be intimate with each other; in fact, they barely seem to interact. The status of their relationship changes, however, when a newlywed couple moves in next door.

The movie attempts to depict the couple’s failing relationship symbolically. Vanessa, for example, always seems to place her sunglasses sloppily on the table, often positioning them upside down. Disturbed by her habit, Roland cautiously adjusts the position of the sunglasses, setting them upright -- a metaphor for his will to try to save their marriage. This type of symbolism might have been smart if it weren't so tiring, repeated over and over again. Eventually, the symbolism becomes trite, leaving viewers with the impression that the film is trying too hard to be deep and significant.

There is also a major problem with the screenplay. The movie is very slow-paced, so the dialogue suffers. Some of the more comedic lines feel inappropriate, given the film's more serious tone. The first line that comes out of Vanessa’s mouth is “It smells like fish.” The line does not match the previous shot of Roland and Vanessa driving a luxurious car with French music playing in the background.

The movie’s second half is even more discordant. It is very difficult to become invested in and sympathize with two self-destructive characters -- especially Vanessa, whose trauma is not revealed until the very end of the film. After two hours, the constant crying, shaking and drinking become simply unbearable. The film's slow pacing and lack of dialogue certainly do not help. The newlywed couple living next door, played by the ever-brilliant Melanie Laurent and Melvil Poupaud, is much more interesting.

Considering Jolie Pitt is mostly known for her high-price acting roles, shooting a low-budget movie that deals with heavy topics such as depression and sexual discontent is very courageous of her. Playing the lead role along with her equally famous husband is a bold move too. Sadly, the only positive thing that can be said about the movie is how stylish it is. The setting, the cinematography and the costumes create striking visuals. The physical appearances of the two leads certainly help, too. Still, the movie is too messy and tedious for the audience’s eyes.

Summary While ambitious, the film is very self-conscious and pretentious, relying too much on visuals to make up for the weak script.