Theatrical yet realistic, 'Brooklyn' portrays compelling immigrant story

ENTER_BROOKLYN-MOVIE-REVIEW_1_MCT
Saorise Ronan as "Eilis" and Emory Cohen as "Tony" in "Brooklyn."

Six years ago, a charming little period film penned by Nick Hornby received critical acclaim and earned itself a spot on many best-movies-of-the-year lists. Titled “An Education” (2009), the movie was praised particularly for its lead actress' breakthrough performance. That actress -- Carey Mulligan -- ended up becoming one of Hollywood's iconic stars. Six years later, Hornby has written another period piece, titled "Brooklyn," that is sure to follow in the successful footsteps of "An Education." "Brooklyn" is anchored by a glowing performance by Saoirse Ronan, known for her role as Agatha in "The Grand Budapest Hotel" (2014), and boasts a poignant storyline. 

"Brooklyn," set in the 1950s, is the tale of a young Irish woman named Eilis Lacey, played by Ronan. Eilis lives in a small Irish town but, with the help of her sister Rose (Fiona Glascott), she forms a plan to immigrate to Brooklyn, where she hopes to stay at an Irish boarding house. After a painful and disorienting trip, Eilis finally arrives in Brooklyn. Even though she manages to find shelter, a job and friends, she feels pangs of homesickness, amplified by her introverted nature. Ronan delivers a perfectly balanced performance here; the audience can easily empathize with her character's situation.

Things get better after Eilis meets an Italian man named Tony (Emory Cohen), with whom she quickly forms a relationship. While the two are from different cultures, the film depicts their differences in a delicate way. Both Tony’s family and Eilis’ friends seem to accept their relationship. While dating Tony, Eilis begins adapting to her new life, that is, until her mother calls her with bad news and urges Eillis to come back.

During the second part of the movie, Eilis travels back to Ireland. Her mother encourages her to stay in Ireland, and, although Eillis is miserable at first, various opportunities make Eilis realize that she can build a happy life in both Brooklyn and Ireland. Eilis has to decide what life she wants to live -- a riskier, more colorful life in Brooklyn or a more stable life in Ireland. Unlike many immigrants, Eilis has the privilege to, more or less, decide her own fate. In many ways, the movie can be seen as a coming-of-age story, as Eilis transforms from a naïve girl to a reasonable and smart young woman. Ronan perfectly captures the difference between Eilis as she first appears and the fully-grown Eilis that viewers see at the end of the movie.

"Brooklyn" is brilliant because it is able to present its relatively ordinary storyline in a touching way -- sentimental, yet not overtly dramatic. Part of the movie’s success can be attributed to the director John Crowley’s background in theater. Crowley expertly creates a complex drama without big twists or revelations and avoids falling into familiar formulas and clichés.  The movie also includes terrific performances, not only from Ronan but also from the supporting actors such as Cohen, Julie Walters and Jane Brennan. Cohen’s performance as the romantic lead is charming and shows the actor's promise.

As a period piece, "Brooklyn" delivers. It is stylish and reminiscent of the movies from the era in which it is set, and its colorful visuals create a light and emotional atmosphere. The film manages to feel realistic, beautiful and simplistic, and intentionally avoids being tragic for tragedy's sake. Be on the lookout for "Brooklyn" come awards season.

Summary Anchored by strong performances from its two leads and a moving storyline, "Brooklyn" is a well-written and compelling film.