Ellie Goulding's 'Delirium' shows vision

ENTER_MUS-COACHELLA_23_LA
New Ellie Goulding album "Delirium" allows the singer to maintain her place in the upper echelon of pop.

For much of her career, English singer-songwriter Ellie Goulding has successfully straddled the line between mainstream pop star and indie darling. Bursting into the music scene with her massively popular single “Lights" (2011), Goulding quickly established herself as a reliable hit-maker who could write quirky songs with undeniable commercial potential. Her previous two studio albums, “Lights” (2010) and “Halcyon” (2012), have seen Goulding experiment with a variety of genres including folk music, synthpop and EDM. They have also marked her rise to commercial success; she has cemented her role on Top 40 radio as an ethereal British songstress with a voice as light as the clouds and songs as poppy as they come.

In a press release for her new album "Delirium," which landed on Nov. 6, Goulding discussed her vision for the project, which stands as her biggest production to date. “A part of me views this album as an experiment -- to make a big pop album," she said. "I made a conscious decision that I wanted it to be on another level.” In that respect, “Delirium” is indeed a runaway success, as it has the songs, hooks and production to back up this description. With the aid of world-renowned pop maestros Max Martin and Greg Kurstin, Goulding has made the experience of listening to “Delirium” akin to a high octane rollercoaster ride. Once the ride starts, it never lets up, with banger after banger keeping the listener on a musical high.

With the standard edition running at a hefty 16 tracks, “Delirium” uses this length to its advantage in order to convey a wide breadth of influences. The Police-influenced lead single "On My Mind" shows Goulding embracing new sounds to create even catchier music. Featuring production from Martin, the song feels like a proper lead single from a pop star. It ticks all the boxes for a big pop release: the musical trend du jour, a razor sharp chorus, tight verses and a dash of some “uh-oh-oh-oh.”

“Love Me Like You Do” is a Martin-produced ballad that was originally part of the “Fifty Shades of Grey: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack” (2015). The song was an instant hit across the globe and remains a standout on this new album. The '80s-inspired power ballad does not want for emotion, as Goulding’s ethereal voice captures a sense of deep longing with lines like, “Every inch of your skin is a holy grail I've got to find / Only you can set my heart on fire, on fire.” Throughout the rest of “Delirium,” Goulding continues to explore the ups and downs of love. The pulsating "Something in the Way You Move" demonstrates full blown romantic bliss, and the groovy “Keep on Dancin’” reflects Goulding’s frustration with an indecisive lover.

The best songs on “Delirium,” however, all come at the very tail end of the album. Army” is a soaring ode to friendship, and, while the song borrows a little too heavily from the structure of “Love Me Like You Do,” it succeeds. This is primarily due to the genuine gratitude Goulding is able to convey when she belts lines like, “I’m amazed by the things that you would sacrifice / Just to be there for me / How you cringe when you sing out of tune / And, yeah, it's everything / So don't change a thing.” The folk-tinged “Lost and Found” continues this winning streak, combining Goulding’s previous roots with a stomping chorus to craft a song that will surely be a hit at live shows. “Devotion” offers a subdued moment on this album; this hypnotic highlight sees Goulding at her most seductive and impassioned.

By the time “Delirium” fully winds down, the listener is not left with a better understanding of Goulding the pop star. In lieu of focusing on the woman behind the songs, listener's must focus on the persona and songs that Goulding has crafted. While the album's pacing may sometimes feel relentless, “Delirium” is successful in its presentation of a cohesive body of work at a time when most pop stars are building whole albums around a single song. With “Delirium,” Goulding has proven she is more than capable of playing the pop star role. Goulding’s joyful presence is a more than welcome addition to an otherwise bleak pop landscape.

Summary Ellie Goulding’s “Delirium” stands out in a year lacking blockbuster pop releases with the British singer-songwriter demonstrating her prowess in creating pop songs that can pack quite the wallop.