'Cornerstone' lays foundation for sophomore album

NicoVinz_Pub_Shot
Nico & Vinz shift between light and heavy material with ease in new EP "Cornerstone."

Nico & Vinz, the Norwegian pop duo whose hit “Am I Wrong” (2013) has rocked airwaves for the last year and more, are back with their latest musical effort, “Cornerstone." The EP, released Nov. 6, shows that the charm, complexity and addictiveness of “Black Star Elephant” (2014), their previous studio album, were not merely a fluke.

No strangers to critical recognition, Nico & Vinz have featured prominently on Scandinavian song charts ever since their early days, when they performed under the name Envy. Even more interestingly, the two musicians played the Nobel Peace Prize concert in 2013 in Oslo.They debuted on the American music scene rather abruptly in 2014 after signing with Warner Bros. Records, who suggested the change of name to avoid confusion with other groups. Since finding success stateside, Nico & Vinz have toured and put forth mostly remixes and remasterings of their old material, which they extensively promote through their Twitter.

“That’s How You Know,” a single that closes out the five-track EP, is emblematic of the variety in Nico & Vinz’s music. The expletive-laden song tells the story of the musicians' struggles, from Nico’s cocaine habit to Vinz’s unemployment issues. Featured artists Kid Ink and Bebe Rexha chime in, taking verses along the way, but mostly just sing about other people’s problems. While Nico and Vinz’s verses are endearing and personal, the featured artists’ seem more like filler. For all the problems listed in it, “That’s How You Know” is more celebratory than analytical, with catchy whistling and acoustic guitar giving this song serious pop chops.

The rest of “Cornerstone” takes a more serious approach to its material. That is not to say the musical content loses any of its playfulness or charisma, but the subject matter does get more substantial. The effortlessness with which the two singers bounce between light and heavy material is reflected in the ease with which they transition between musical genres.

Indeed, it is easier to describe the duo's music by the moods it inspires than it is to describe it with any elaborate combination of genres. As for its influences, in an Oct. 29, 2014 interview with Idolator, Vinz attributed them to “a lot of stuff, varying from the African music in our households to West Coast gangsta rap and reggae music. So I think all those influences and our backgrounds definitely carry on in our music.” Listeners will hear West African rhythms mixed primarily with EDM and R&B in their latest works.

“Cornerstone” is chock full of infectious hooks and emotive licks that would be right at home among pop’s chart toppers. Yet these songs -- unlike many hits that make their way to top 40 radio stations -- tell compelling, nuanced stories. “Praying to God,” the penultimate song on the EP, is one such example and is perhaps the most beautiful track on the EP, with the duo's voices interacting in a way that makes the track relatable and emotional.

As a whole, “Cornerstone” makes one big arc. Beginning upbeat, it transitions into more staid love songs before diving down into deeper, heavier material and swinging back up in the end for a grand celebratory finale. As a result, the EP is a journey to listen to, and Nico & Vinz, true to form, transport listeners from the highest highs to the lowest lows, finding the good in the bad and leaving listeners on a high note.

Summary While just five songs long, "Cornerstone" takes listeners across a broad musical spectrum, and there's little to say against the EP.