Top 10 ways to get in the Halloween spirit

Whether you like it or not, Halloween, which, in college, is more like a weekend affair than a single-day event, is approaching rapidly. There will be countless events happening on campus and in Boston, and there’s no real way to avoid it all unless you lock yourself away in Tisch for the weekend — but even then, Tisch is only open until 9 p.m. Since the festivities are unavoidable, here are the top 10 ways to get yourself in the Halloween spirit.

1. If you’re easily frightened, aren’t a fan of horror movies and would rather not spend the majority of the night completely terrified, relive your childhood and watch the Disney Channel Original movie “Halloweentown” (1998). If you’d like to make this trip down memory lane a weekend-long affair, you could revisit the three subsequent movies in the Halloweentown franchise as well as other Disney Channel originals, “Twitches” (2005), “Twitches Too” (2007) and, of course, “Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire” (2000). For those of you who didn’t grow up on Disney Channel Original Movies, “Hocus Pocus” (1993) and “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993) are also appropriate choices.

2. Take advantage of all the ridiculous candy sales at grocery stores and CVS — especially during the after-Halloween sales when stores are desperate to get rid of all the excess Halloween-themed treats. Pro tip: Avoid candy corn at all costs unless you’re desperate. It’s just not good.

3. Give yourself a laugh and hide scary objects (fake fingers, spiders — real or fake, you pick) in your roommate’s closet or in their bed. Even better, hide yourself in one of these places and frighten them at the most unexpected time. Yes, they might hate you for an extended period of time, but it will be worth the guaranteed hilarity.

4. Learn that the best (or, at least, the most consistently delicious) pumpkin-inspired edible is chocolate chip pumpkin bread. Then, convince your roommate or best friend to bake some so you don’t have to expend any effort and can continue to eat as much as possible, relishing in the food coma to follow.

5. Carve a pumpkin, take a picture of it and then quickly dispose of it. College students are the most likely demographic to neglect…sanitary needs. So it’s a definite possibility that, after carving a pumpkin during the swing of midterms, you forget about it until Thanksgiving, at which point it will have been rotting for weeks. You do not want to discover that the smell you thought was your dirty laundry was actually a rotting pumpkin under your bed.

6. While on the subject of doing things for the photo, dress up in costume even if you don’t plan on going out. Clever costumes are always appreciated and it’s fun to coordinate ideas with your friends.

7. Play creepy music constantly around your dorm room or apartment — especially when you sleep. It’s therapeutic.

8. While you’re being creepy on the music front, brush up on your Latin and read about the history of satanic rituals. Or watch an episode of “Supernatural” (2005 – present). It’s pretty much the same thing.

9. Spend all weekend trying to rationalize how Tufts Mountain Club could have placed pumpkins in the most impossible locations on campus.

10. If you really hate Halloween and can’t think of anything redeemable about the holiday, just know that there are only 49 days until the new Star Wars movie comes out, so not all is terrible in the world.