Experimental yet accessible, Holter's new album shows real innovation

15221704335_b795fb691d_o
Julia Holter's newest release, "Have You In My Wilderness," highlights her strong song-writing skills, as well as her vocal talents.

Julia Holter is much more than the average college-educated singer-songwriter type. She is arguably one of the few musicians willing to experiment with ambient pop, a sub-genre that has become trite and overdone in recent years. With her fourth effort, “Have You In My Wilderness" -- released Sept. 25 -- Holter is gaining the attention she deserves from critics and indie music fans alike. Skillfully composed and cleverly arranged, the album is a top contender for the best of 2015. 

"Have You In My Wilderness" opens with “Feel You,” a dreamy indie-pop track.The opening arrangement is enchanting, lending the song its poignant, romantic atmosphere. Holter’s voice -- soft and feminine -- works in harmony with the sweet yet melancholic lyrics. The album’s second track, titled “Silhouette,” starts off with a similarl sound.The song takes an experimental turn, however, when Holter carefully blends her vocals with multiple high-key and staccato violin strokes. The result is chaotic yet beautiful.

The entire mood of the album changed with heavy and dramatic “How Long?" In this third number, Holter’s vocals are deeper and more powerful, and the track proves how avant-garde a pop song can be. Much to Holter's credit, the tonal shift "How Long?" brings about is not unsettling. In fact, it is striking how the musician manages to alter her album's sound so effortlessly. Holter’s background in music composition has undoubtedly helped her to deftly arrange "Have You In My Wilderness."

“Lucette Stranded on the Island” follows "How Long?" and is a musical journey all on its own. Six minutes and 47 seconds long, this hypnotic, sensual song is the standout track of the album. In the fifth track, "Sea Calls Me Home," Holter surprises listeners with a saxophone solo that gives the album an energy boost and prevents it from becoming dreary.

The album’s second half begins with “Night Song,” an emotionally powerful number. Strings, along with Holter’s vocals, are once again the stars of the song. Even though the songs on "Have You In My Wilderness" sound different from one another, similar string arrangements recur throughout the record. That said, the album also uses a diverse range of instruments. With its drum kicks and bubbly piano, “Everytime Boots” is an example how Holter is able to arrange her album's themes in new and dynamic ways.

The next two songs, “Betsy on the Roof” and “Vasquez,” prove Holter’s credentials as an experimental musician. “Betsy on the Roof," a piano-based, break-up balladis a gloomy track that becomes deliciously avant-garde in its finale.“Vasquez,” on the other hand, makes use of multiple instruments and genres, managing to sound simultaneously disorderly and melodious. The album's final track, “Have You In My Wilderness," ends the album on a bittersweet note with a haunting string solo.

Holter's work on this latest album proves that singer-songwriters these days are not just producing unorginal indie music. With its lush instrumentals, rich vocals and experimental sounds, "Have You In My Wilderness" is a risky, daring effort -- and one that is impossible to dismiss. Not only is Holter a talented singer, but she is also a skillful composer and a brilliant lyricist. “Have You In My Wilderness” is the rewarding result of her unique talents.

Summary With a deft touch, Julia Holter weaves together recurring themes into compelling songs that defy musical norms.