Where you read it first | Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Viola Davis makes history at the Emmy Awards

The annual Emmy Awards, which celebrate the successes of actors and actresses in television series spanning all genres, left viewers with many things to discuss last Sunday night: Who wore the best dress? Why wasn't this actor nominated? Why didn't this actress win? Should I start watching this show? All of these questions and more were still circulating after the cameras went off, but one actress really stole the show this year: Viola Davis.

Davis won the award for outstanding lead actress in a drama series for her role as talented defense attorney Annalise Keating in ABC's "How to Get Away with Murder" (2014 - present). She not only beat out incredibly talented fellow nominees, but was also the first African-American woman to win this award in the history of the Emmys. This is a significant statement about the place of women of color in the entertainment business, specifically in television.

Davis brought up many important points throughout her acceptance speech and even moved actress Kerry Washington, who plays Olivia Pope on "Scandal" (2012 - present), to tears.

After beginning with a quote from Harriet Tubman, Davis leapt into a stirring and emotional speech that drew applause from the entire audience.

"The only thing that separates women of color from anyone else is opportunity," Davis said. "You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there. So, here's to all the writers...the awesome people...who have redefined what it means to be beautiful, to be sexy, to be a leading woman, to be black."

She went on to thank fellow actresses of color including Halle Berry, Kerry Washington and Taraji P. Henson for their help and support. In her speech, she highlighted the fact that it is still difficult for women of color to receive roles, regardless of their talent.

Davis' speech had the strength to empower women of color to pursue their dreams, entertainment-related or otherwise, in the future. There is no doubt that Davis is an incredible actress and it is clear that she will continue to do great things with "How to Get Away with Murder," as well as any other televisual pursuits.