Top 10 TV premieres to be excited about this fall

As you dive into your third day of classes, you may already be feeling overwhelmed by schoolwork, auditions and extracurriculars. Luckily for stressed out college students everywhere, there is one thing that will always be there for you when you need a breather: television. These are the top ten shows to look out for this fall, whether you need a relaxing hour during a study break or plan to spend the whole weekend binge-watching a season.

1. "Doctor Who" (2005 - present), a science fiction series about a time-traveler, premieres its ninth season on Sept. 19 at 9 p.m. on BBC America. Peter Capaldi plays the Doctor alongside Jenna Louise Coleman as the Doctor's companion, Clara. Many of the previous season's flaws can be attributed to its being Capaldi's first season as the Doctor. The second half of last season was a major improvement upon the first, and now that Capaldi's found his footing, this season should be even better.

2. "Heroes Reborn" (2015) is a godsend disguised as a miniseries to all those who were devastated when the television series "Heroes" (2006-2010) was cancelled, leaving viewers with an unresolved cliffhanger. "Heroes" followed various characters around the world as they discover they have developed supernatural abilities. "Heroes Reborn" lacks the star-studded cast of "Heroes" (e.g. Hayden Panettiere, Milo Ventimiglia, Zachary Quinto), but keeps Jack Coleman in his previous role as Noah Bennet. "Heroes Reborn" premieres its first-ever episode Sept. 24 at 8 p.m. on ABC.

3. "American Horror Story: Hotel" (2015) is the fifth season of the horror anthology series, "American Horror Story" (2011 - present). Fans of the show will definitely be sad to see that fan favorite Jessica Lange will not be a part of the main cast when the show premieres Oct. 7 at 10 p.m. on FX. Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer, however, have joined the cast in Lange's absence, hopefully filling the void she leaves behind. Each season somehow manages to be creepier than the last and, no doubt, "Hotel" will continue this trend.

4. "Jane the Virgin" (2014 - present) produced a strong first season. It was so strong, in fact, that Gina Rodriguez, who plays the main character Jane, earned a Golden Globe in 2014 after just nine episodes had aired. "Jane the Virgin" is a light comedy that still manages to tackle important issues like immigration reform. It's the best show currently on the CW and season two, which begins on Oct. 12 at 9 p.m., promises to be just as impressive as the first.

5. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (2013 - present), based on Marvel's comic universe, took a while to gain speed in its first season, but it ended strong and continued to dish out unpredictable episodes in its second season. The main cast is all back for a third season, which airs Sept. 29 at 9 p.m. on ABC.

6. "Bob's Burgers" (2011 - present), an animated comedy series about an eccentric family who owns a burger joint, dives into its sixth season Sept. 27 at 7:30 p.m. on FOX. Compared to other animated shows on air such as "Archer" (2009-present) and "Rick and Morty" (2013-present), "Bob's Burgers" is relatively simple and not particularly clever. Still, it does well to make viewers laugh with its lovable albeit odd characters.

7. "Fresh Off the Boat" (2015 - present), a show about a Taiwanese family in the '90s who move to America, was successful in its first season. The writing of the first season was able to capture audiences with its specific type of humor, based loosely on stereotypes. The second season premieres Sept. 22 at 8:30 p.m. on ABC.

8. "Empire" (2015 - present) boasted an impressive first season supported by a talented cast and strong writing. It centers on a father who runs an entertainment company and, upon being diagnosed with a neurological disease, is forced to choose one of his children to take over for him. This is the type of drama you shouldn't be embarrassed to watch. Season two premieres Sept. 23 at 9 p.m. on FOX.

9. "Arrow" (2012 - present) ended last season with a glorious and romantic resolution, leaving viewers wondering what happened after "happily ever after." The CW sometimes gets a bad rep, but "Arrow," based on the story of DC Comics' Green Arrow, is one of its most decent shows. "Arrow" begins Oct. 7 at 8 p.m. 

10. "The Bastard Executioner" (2015 - present) will premiere its first season Sept. 15 at 10 p.m. on FX. It's a period piece about a 14th century warrior who is told by a divine messenger to become an executioner. If you're looking for another period show to watch (and are OK with some gore), this may be the one for you.