Toro y Moi straddles multiple genres on 'What For?'

4529491773_fec2ba5b1a_o
Chaz Bundick's latest album under the moniker Toro y Moi highlights his skill as a producer and songwriter.

As a lover of different styles of music, Chaz Bundick experiments with countless genres and creates records that are collective. As he has expressed in many interviewsBundick likes to practice music as a “hobby,” which leads him to produce different styles of albums under different names. Clearly, Bundick has a lot on his plate with his versatile career as a composer, producer and recording artist. However, his upcoming release, "What For?" (April 7), his fourth album under the name Toro y Moi, comes right after the release of his dance record as Les Sins, showing just how productive and prolific he is. As a professional producer, Bundick does not follow the trend of collaborating with all his friends on the records he makes. Instead, he prefers to stay in his studio and create unique records by experimenting with different sounds. Though he includes traces of chillwave on his new album, Bundick doesn’t cease to experiment with different styles -- on "What For?" he chooses to explore indie pop sounds. With each subsequent album, Toro y Moi develops his sound and adds onto what he has already produced. Just as expected, “What For?” builds onto Chaz Bundick’s previous records and presents a unique collection of different genres.

The opening track, “What You Want,” creates a soft psychedelic atmosphere with its synthesized vocals and dominant percussion. Bundick reveals his experience as a producer through his delicate arrangements. While the riffs in the background add color to the main line of melody, he proves his unique character toward the end with a section that has an unexpected improvisation-like vibe. In “Buffalo,” sharp percussion and carefully syncopated rhythms grab the listener’s attention. Bundick’s calm and natural vocals on top of the sharp production creates a delightful contrast. However, even though his vocals have a unique character, the instrumental production overshadows Bundick’s vocal delivery.

The opening guitar riff of “The Flight” is reminiscent of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' California cool pop sound. At this point, Toro y Moi chooses to bring the energy down, revealing his emotions. Although the electronic effects feel distracting at some points -- namely when the back and forth solos of piano and guitar enter -- the distraction soon disappears, and the listener can once again admire the instrumental background. As we move onto the album’s first single, “Empty Nesters,” the Red Hot Chili Peppers influence continues, and the album moves into psychedelic pop territory. Toward the end, the song’s vocals disappear, and Bundick highlights his original style as the instrumentals become a loop that transforms over time. “Ratcliff” paints a picture with its lyrics and grabs the listener’s attention with its laid back vocals and harmonies. Piano riffs in the background support the main line and add even more melancholy to this emotional piece.

The perfect harmony of instruments on “Lilly” make it an especially interesting track. Until “Lilly,” Toro y Moi uses piano as a supporting instrument; however, at the end of the song, Bundick lets the piano solo come to the forefront and shine on its own. In “Run Baby Run,” the lyrics “Run baby run, you’ve got so many things to do” echo throughout the song to evoke a broken, disheartened mood. “Yeah Right” makes for a quiet and calm ending; despite its lack of melodic presence, the song becomes memorable through the emotions it imposes on listeners. With the album’s low-tempo indie pop ending, Toro y Moi surprises his audience and, perhaps, hints at the style of his upcoming albums.

Spending hours in his home studio, Chaz Bundick prolifically explores different sounds and genres and produces his experiments under various names. By adopting the identity Toro y Moi, Bundick impresses his listeners with his complex, collage-like works. However, because Toro y Moi doesn’t adopt a stable genre or sound, the album doesn’t leave a permanent effect on listeners. With each song, Toro y Moi expands on a different aspect of his interests and presents them each successfully. It is clear that Bundick’s recordings are already effective; however, with a more consistent sound and style, his recordings will have a more lasting impact. 

Summary It is clear that Bundick’s recordings are already effective. However, with a more consistent sound and style, his recordings will have a lasting impact.