A step-by-step guide to finding your next book

2014-09-21-Columnists-6-copy
Helen Schmidt

Any chronic bookworm will understand the feeling you experience when you’re out of new books to read. The craving for a new story is too much to bear for very long, so a trip to the bookstore is necessary. I go through books like there’s no tomorrow, so I’m shopping for new reads every few weeks. When you step into the store, you take in shelf after shelf stocked with unread stories, each one begging you to pick it up. But how do you find your next book? Fear not, dear readers, for I have a handy step-by-step guide just for you!

1. Know what you like, but be open to something completely new. Any well-versed reader knows the authors, genres and topics they typically prefer. When I go into a bookstore, I always look to see what is available to expand my collections by certain authors. Authors tend to tackle particular themes across their works, and it’s enjoyable to really get into their heads as they relate crossover themes within a new setting. That said, it’s never too late to start exploring a new author or subject. It can get repetitive reading too much by one author, and taking a break from one means opening space for another. Major bookstores generally organize their collections alphabetically, so it’s easy to see everything available by a particular author. Even better, book stores have distinct sections for fiction, science fiction, essays and biographies, allowing you to narrow your search even more.

2. Always be on the lookout for new books. In my free time, there’s a very high chance I’m scanning the web for new book recommendations. As I’ve grown to understand my personal preferences, I know where to look to find recommendations that align with my interests. But for someone who just needs any suggestion at all, checking an updated bestseller list is a good place to start. Even if your next book isn’t there, those present on the list can give you ideas as to what you might want to read. If you listen to the radio, there are some great shows on NPR, like "The Two-Way," that talk about new and noteworthy books covering a variety of topics, ensuring there’s something for everyone.

3. Look everywhere. By this I don’t just mean everywhere in a bookstore; I mean really look at everything on the book. Get the fullest impression you can and use the summary, artwork, etc. to make a final judgment. Check out sections from which you’ve never read anything before. Spend some time reading the first chapter or two of something that catches your eye. Follow the adage "Don't judge a book by its cover" -- or by its cover art, title or praises. Don’t read just a few lines of the summary. Don’t just flip to a random page and see what it contains. Picking out a book is like picking the perfect song to listen to. It has to grab you in some way and spark emotion. Weirdly enough, I know I’ve found my next book when I’m hit with an image of me reading it with a cup of coffee. When this happens, I know I’ve found a book that’s exactly what I need for that moment in my life.

Choosing books is in no way a science. You have to listen to what your gut is telling you. There must have been a reason why a particular book looked interesting to you: figure out why. Know what clicks for you instantly and what makes you a bit more hesitant to delve into something new. Choosing a book to read can be complicated, but I hope with these tips you’re able to find a new favorite.