Kelly Clarkson shines with powerful vocals on new studio album

a0311clarkson1
Kelly Clarkson shines with her famous powerful vocals on "Piece by Piece," which features classic Clarkson anthems and newer R&B and electronica-influenced tracks.

After a two-year hiatus, Kelly Clarkson is putting it all together with her seventh studio album, entitled "Piece by Piece (Deluxe Version)" (Feb. 27). Although it’s been 13 years since Clarkson claimed the title of being the original "American Idol" (2002-present), this latest album from Clarkson is reassurance that her lasting influence isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. While there are some weak points on the record, it shines as a whole and demonstrates Clarkson’s extreme musical versatility.

Some artists hesitate to open their album with their first-released single, but Clarkson is not one to follow suit. "Piece by Piece" begins with the chart-topping  “Heartbeat Song.” Although the track doesn't have Clarkson's typical sound, it conveys a catchy beat, as well as a strong drum-motivated rhythm that is consistent throughout the rest of the album. Similarly, the album's seventh song, “I Had a Dream,” is driven by an intense snare background, but unlike the album’s opener, this track encompasses a gospel feel, likely as a result of the densely layered vocals delivered by backup singers. In addition, “I Had a Dream” pushes the limit on corny lyrics, featuring lines such as “character is shown by the things that we do.”

Of course a Clarkson album wouldn’t be complete without a power ballad or two (or three or four). “Someone” wastes absolutely no time in grabbing the listener’s attention with a modern synth melody and clever lyrics like “my common sense on holiday,” and “we stay in love like vacation homes,” as well as signature Clarkson belting during the chorus. Tracks like “Invincible” and “Tightrope” incorporate messages that are more typical of the ballad nature: sticking it to an ex, falling in love, etc. However, on “Let Your Tears Fall”, Clarkson broadens her horizons and seemingly dedicates a track to a friend – as opposed to a lover – crooning “come to me when you’re in need … no I won’t judge you, I’ll help you through.” The track gives nuance to her work, adding some interesting variety to the mix of “girl power” anthems.

Versatility appears to be the theme for "Piece by Piece," and some of the tracks on the album could fit into completely different genres from each other. “War Paint” and “Dance With Me” both feature more techno dance beats than the rest of the album and cause listeners to initiate immediate foot-tapping. In "War Paint," Clarkson asks, “Why in the hell do we fight on the front lines / when we both know that we’re on the same side?” If executed poorly, this line could come off as a corny comparison, but when paired with the musical accompaniment it creates a relatable analogy. Further deviating from the pop genre under which the album is listed, “Bad Reputation” opens with a strong horn section, giving a Motown feel; the song's R&B vibe will have listeners thinking they’ve shuffled to a Jennifer Hudson album. The chorus has Clarkson issuing a general warning not to “go ruinin’ my bad reputation” – a warning delivered through booming Clarkson vocals that are sure to get the point across.

Other deviations from the genre are not as successful, such as “In The Blue.” This track oddly starts with a synth chord progression eerily similar to Jason Derulo’s “Wiggle”(2014) and is generally out of place with respect to the rest of the album.“Take You High” also falls short of the rest of the album’s high standard; it begins with lyrics and a string background that create the feeling of a show tune,and a chorus that later autotunes Clarkson’s voice and sends listeners' ears on a dizzying loop-de-loop.

Clarkson again deviates from the norm -- this time to great success -- in her choice to include only one feature track on the record. She definitely chooses quality over quantity, as she reserved the guest spot on the album for John Legend on “Run Run Run,” which features the unsurpassable harmonization of Legend's vocals. 

While there are times when inconsistency on an album is unfavorable, Clarkson’s vocals manage to fit well with the different genres she attempts, and the entire record combines to form a strong, cohesive unit. Whether you’re an "Idol" fan or not, "Piece by Piece" makes it clear how Clarkson earned her title.

Summary While there are times that inconsistency on an album is unfavorable, Clarkson’s vocals manage to fit with the different genres she attempts and the entire record combines to form a cohesive unit. Whether you’re an "Idol" fan or not, "Piece by Piece" makes it clear how Clarkson earned her title.