Drew Page shows versatility, working with multiple Tufts performance arts groups

a0305spotlight3
Senior Drew Page performs as the puppet master for a wolf in the Tufts Drama and Dance Department's show "From Orchids to Octopi." He looks forward to more artistic pursuits after graduation.

Behind the timpani in Wind Ensemble, a painted mask in HYPE! mime troupe, a puppet in “From Orchids to Octopi: An Evolutionary Love Story” (premiered in 2010) and the drum set in the upcoming Drama Production “Richard III” (first performed in 1633), Drew Page’s versatile talent has been anything but hidden during his time at Tufts. The senior, majoring in psychology and minoring in English, has managed to do an incredible amount over the last four years, involved in “at least one show every semester except for [his] semester abroad.” With commencement approaching in less than three months, he isn’t finished with his artistic endeavors here quite yet.

In fact, even graduation won’t be able to stop Page from performing, considering he has the National Arts Festival in Grahmstown, South Africa to look forward to this upcoming July. He will perform there in the cast of “Richard III" with the Tufts production. Page told the Daily in an email that he is “going to get to act and also play music onstage during the show” in what has proven to be “a totally unique experience so far.”  Page is no stranger to unique approaches to performances -- in the fall of his first year at Tufts, Page performed in “Hamlet the Hip-Hopera" (opened in 2011), which enjoyed wide praise, as did “A Year with Frog and Toad" (first performed in 2002), a musical he was “fortunate enough to direct [his] sophomore spring.”

While Page does not currently envision himself going into the arts as a career, he knows they will remain a part of his life, as they have since his childhood.

“I’d always been very involved in music and theatre growing up,” he said. “While I’m not looking to go into music or acting professionally, I really hope to keep them in my life.”

Can’t make it to South Africa? See Page perform in “Richard III” on campus from April 14-18, or check out his performances in a Wind Ensemble concert or a HYPE! production before the end of the semester.