Kaze Shabu Shabu offers spicy delights

If you are looking for a break from your average nights in Davis Square, Kaze Shabu Shabu in Chinatown offers a more unique dining experience. This Japanese restaurant features shabu-shabu, a form of hot pot cooked in the Nabemono style. Patrons can have beef, chicken, pork, lamb, seafood or vegetables delivered raw to their table on large plates. Once their selections arrive, patrons can cook their own meal in a boiling broth on a grill located in the middle of their table, then dip their food into a soy sauce enhanced with spices of their choosing, such as “Homemade Satay Sauce,” “Garlic & Scallion” or “Fresh Spicy Chili.”

In addition to selecting a meat or vegetarian option, patrons can also choose the broth in which they cook their meal. While the basic “Meat Bullion” comes at no additional charge, possibilities such as “Japanese Miso” or “Japanese Curry” incur a fee of about $4.00. Considering that one member of our party commented that the “Meat Bullion” option tasted like water, the “Japanese Curry” was worth the upcharge, especially since it includes many additional vegetables.

Though patrons who are unfamiliar with this style of eating may be apprehensive about judging when their food is thoroughly prepared, this concern is alleviated by the thinness of the meat and preparation instructions from the restaurant. A helpful “Cooking Time Guide” is included on each menu, listing the optimal cooking time for each type of food; however, the menu with this chart was taken away once orders were placed, somewhat defeating the purpose of the helpful instructions. Future patrons might consider requesting at least one menu to keep at the table during the meal for easy access to the cooking guide.

The dining set-up is perfect for both couples and large parties. Even though a group of eight arrived during the dinner rush on a recent Saturday night, it was still able to be seated within a reasonable amount of time. An additional portable hot pot was added to the table so the diners would not have to worry about reaching over one another to cook their food. 

Though the décor was nothing to write home about, the hot pots are designed with a smart touch: Two separate sections for broth make them ideal for both sharing and trying multiple flavors. While the hot pots reached a simmering point at different rates and some people in the party were able to start cooking before others, the disparity did not detract much from the experience. 

Although dinner entrée prices can, at first glance, appear on the higher end of the average college student’s budget, ranging from $14.95 to $35.00, a feasible alternative is for diners to share dishes with another member of their party. The $14.95 “Pork” option, along with the “Japanese Curry” broth, was plenty of food for two people. Menus note a minimum charge of $12.00 for lunch and $18.00 for dinner per person, but the wait staff did not seem to enforce this rule. Fortunately, if patrons find that they are still hungry after sharing their dinner, they can find numerous inexpensive Chinese bakeries within short walking distance from the restaurant.

A five-minute walk from the Boylston T Stop and an even shorter walk to the Chinatown Stop, Kaze Shabu Shabu is accessible even in the chilly depths of a Boston winter. In fact, according to the restaurant’s website, Nabemono was originally considered a winter specialty. So whether you are already heading to the theater district or just want a delectable dinner, Kaze Shabu Shabu is worth the trip.

Kaze Shabu Shabu is located at 1 Harrison Ave. and is open Monday – Thursday 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 a.m., Friday – Saturday 11:30 a.m. – 2:00 a.m., and Sunday 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.

Summary Whether you are already heading to the theatre district or just want a delectable dinner, Kaze Shabu Shabu is worth the trip.
3.5 Stars