AOL On series offers inside look at New York City Ballet

a1110cityballet1
"City.ballet." follows dancers in every role with the New York City Ballet company, from apprentice to principal dancer.

Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are today's go-to sources for unconventional, original media available for online streaming, but AOL On's series, "city.ballet." is a great reminder that these three sites don't have a monopoly on compelling internet television.

Produced and narrated by Sarah Jessica Parker, "city.ballet." is back for a second season, released last week. The first season is mostly available on YouTube, but, for now, the second season can be watched directly on AOL. The show is a docuseries that follows the New York City Ballet (NYCB) company, which performs at Lincoln Center in Manhattan. Die-hard ballet fans and casual watchers alike will be able to appreciate this show, which offers an inside look into the world of professional ballet. The episodes of both seasons are very short -- none are over ten minutes -- so binge watching this delightful show is incredibly possible.

The first season of “city.ballet.,” released last year, truly set the stage for the show by delving into every aspect of the company, following different dancers in the roles of apprentice, corps de ballet dancer, soloist and principal dancer. Of these categories, principal dancer is the highest rank, and the competition for this position can be fierce. However, “city.ballet.” truly shows the ways in which New York City Ballet is a family, as these dancers spend the majority of their lives working together. The first season highlights the difficulties for performers in each of the ranks within the company, while offering glimpses into the lives of individual dancers.
Meanwhile, the second season takes the opportunity to delve more deeply into the stories of specific dancers, and also to show the work of ballet masters and choreographers. “City.ballet.” films principal dancers Sara Mearns, Ashley Bouder and Chase Finlay in a case study style, allowing them to expound upon their personal lives and struggles. When watching a ballet, it is easy to forget that the stunning, ethereal creatures on stage are actually human. These dancer-specific vignettes remind the viewers of the hard work and sacrifice that goes into a career as a professional dancer, as well as the talent, training and finesse required. After watching these dancers transition in and out of various romantic relationships as they laugh, cry and grow, it is easy to feel close to them. "City.ballet." is filmed very intimately, so both the stress of dancing and the beauty of the art form is captured on film. It is almost a personal viewing experience, one that will make the viewer feel attached to the dancers as people and eager to see them perform on a real stage.

It is also fascinating to see the work of choreographers in the second season, as “city.ballet.” takes an in-depth look at the works of Peter Martins, Ballet Master in Chief for NYCB, and Troy Schumacher, a newer choreographer and NYCB dancer. It is particularly interesting to watch Schumacher as he creates his first ballet for NYCB dancers, and to see the creative development of a piece from a simple idea to a onstage performance. One can’t help but root for Schumacher and his dancers to succeed in creating something entirely new and beautiful, as the viewer feels privy to some secret process while they watch the dancers rehearse and perform.

“City.ballet.” is a unique show which removes the distance between the average viewer and the ballet company, revealing the athleticism and humanity that define exceptional dancers. The dancers develop onscreen as characters would in a scripted show, but the viewer is reminded that these are real people just doing their jobs as best as they can -- and learning from the experience. Hopefully the audience of  “city.ballet.” will learn from the New York City Ballet company as well, and develop an appreciation for the beauty that comes from sacrifice, hard work and passion.
Summary "City.ballet." is almost a personal viewing experience, one that will make the viewer feel attached to the dancers as people and eager to see them perform on a real stage.