'The Legend of Korra' enters fourth and final season

David_Faustino_7593247144
Actor David Faustino voiced the character Mako in “The Legend of Korra.”

Beginning its fourth and final season on Oct. 3rd, Nickelodeon’s “The Legend of Korra” franchise brings about the end of the extended universe of its predecessor “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (2005-2008). The hullaballoo surrounding the beginning of the end for “Korra” is not simply due to the fanatical following that the show has garnered over the years. In part, the intrigue surrounding the show’s end has to do with Nickelodeon’s revolutionary way of providing the content: Instead of broadcasting the show on television, Nickelodeon has switched to purely digital releases of episodes through its website Nick.com. This may not be news to many loyal followers of the show; many episodes of the show's penultimate season, which aired at the beginning of this past summer, were also available exclusively online.

However, it seems that fans are still split over this transition. Apparently, show creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino -- the same folks who were behind “Avatar: the Last Airbender” -- parterned with Nickelodeon in its decision to shift from traditional broadcasting to online streaming. With the majority of the show’s viewers either in their last years of high school or their first years of college, the Internet is where the show’s constituency lives. Regardless, for many die-hard fans this change is hard to bear. This, coupled with the creeping disappearance of Saturday morning cartoons, seems to be a harsh reminder that the digital age is here to stay.