Where you read it first | Friday, May 10, 2024

Tufts alumni enjoy esteemed careers in arts

Each May another batch of Jumbos graduates, triggering an aura of optimism and nostalgia around campus. Students reflect on years spent at Tufts, while commencement celebrations remind us that this time is both a beginning and an end. Almost inevitably, moments spent reminiscing about the past lead to contemplations of that most intimidating and exciting topic: the future.

As graduating seniors leave for every corner of the globe — whether they are terrified, excited or a little bit of both — it may also be helpful to remember Tufts alumni that have made the same leap, blazing trails in their fields and perhaps inspiring fellow Jumbos to achieve their own goals. (And, no, not all of them were science and engineering majors.)
The following Tufts alumni have gained recognition for their flourishing arts and media careers, and each of their stories reminds us that success can come in many different forms.

So, members of the Class of 2014, after you read about the accomplishments of some of our most esteemed alumni, look to your left and right, and see if you can spot the future stars in the sea of robes and tassels around you.

The overachiever
Best known as the author of the best-selling novel "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" (1995), which inspired the hit Broadway musical of the same name, Gregory Maguire (LA '90) earned his Ph.D. in English and American literature from Tufts.

Although he is a respected writer and teacher of fiction, fantasy and children's literature, Maguire said in a 2006 interview with Barnes & Noble that there were a variety of career paths he could have pursued. If not a writer, he might have been "an artist (watercolors), a singer/songwriter like Paul Simon (taller but not very much more), an architect (domestic), [or] a teacher."

"Actually, in one way or another I have done all of the above," he said.

The prodigy
Renowned as both a musician and a social activist, Tracy Chapman (LA '87) graduated from Tufts with a B.A. in anthropology and African studies. On May 23, 2004, she was awarded an honorary degree in fine arts from Tufts at that year's commencement ceremony. Upon presenting the award, then-president Lawrence Bacow recognized Chapman's music, which he said "underscores the importance of conscience and reveals the power of poetry."

As an undergraduate, Chapman performed at Boston venues and recorded songs at WMFO. In 1988, one year after graduating, she released her first album, "Tracy Chapman." Today, the singer-songwriter has multiple platinum records and four Grammy awards to her name. Her biggest hits include "Fast Car" (1988) and "Give Me One Reason" (1995).

The kid who sort of, kind of, actually made it
Although future comedic actor Hank Azaria (LA '85) walked the stage with classmates on his graduation day, he was actually two credits short of graduating. It took a few more years, and some credits earned at the University of California, Los Angeles, for him to receive his degree in drama.

Since then, he has won four Emmys and a Screen Actors Guild Award, among other honors. Notably, he has acted as the voice of multiple characters in "The Simpsons" (1990-present) and teamed up with fellow Jumbo Oliver Platt (LA '83) to create the critically acclaimed television drama "Huff" (2004-2006). Though it may have seemed an unlikely achievement in 1985, Azaria was given the Light on the Hill Award in 1999, a testament to years of hard work and an undeniable gift for making people laugh.