Perfect Pussy crafts fiery, assertive debut

Sometimes it is the most convoluted, indecipherable messages that are ultimately able to have strongest impact. This is where Perfect Pussy finds its strength; despite the group's often hard-to-understand lyrics, their music is both powerful and compelling. Their debut album, Say Yes To Love," is a forceful, fiery experience, a 23-minute tirade that seems to be on the verge of going too far without ever actually breaking down. And, it turns out, resting on this edge is satisfying.

Perfect Pussy has a rather unconventional history. After several Syracuse, N.Y.-based punk artists were invited to perform as a fake band in a film, they decided to make their on-screen stint a reality, and began playing shows and gaining a following. Singer Meredith Graves recruited some more friends and former bandmates, and eventually the musicians were writing music and performing together regularly.

The one-time faux band, however, has created an album that is anything but fake. The eight-song "Say Yes to Love" is shockingly addictive in its replay value and delivers a bold statement -- although what exactly is being said is often hidden beneath the unintelligible screaming of frontwoman Graves. "Unintelligible," however, might not exactly be the best word