Restaurant Review | Tampopo doles out feel-good cuisine

Feature-Image_Place-HolderOLIN

The Shops at Porter are a cornucopia of great Asian cuisine, the best of which is Tampopo. The cozy restaurant - which on a good day seats 14 people - is a perfect spot for eating with just one other person. For two, it usually isn't difficult to get a seat. Plus, the food, prompt service and pleasant atmosphere make up for the cramped dining conditions.

One of the benefits of having such a small restaurant - and a small clientele - is that Tampopo serves its patrons quickly. Sitting in the restaurant's nook, it is easy to see why it is a local favorite. The interior is bright and the decor is whimsically colorful. Tampopo exudes comfort and familiarity. The staff is very nice, and the place has a leisurely air. It has the dependability of a restaurant and the speed of a fast food chain. The rapid service does not have an adverse affect on the quality of food.

Tampopo is not fine cuisine. It is rough-and-ready Japanese food that is filling and tasty. Eating at Tampopo is also a journey through the savory side of your pallet. The Tampopo-Don pork is incredible: breaded yet succulent, tender yet firm. The pork cutlets rest on a heaping bed of rice and perfectly steamed vegetables. All of this is drizzled with a sauce, which is akin to a cross between hollandaise sauce, Thousand Island dressing and the joyful tears of an angel. Indeed, there's no doubt that any meat-lover will love this dish. It is rich, juicy and tastes incredibly fresh. Tampopo also does a great job with portions, which toe the line between reasonable and exorbitant. Serious eaters will find themselves satisfied, and those who eat like birds won't be wasting half a platter of food.

In addition to the pork, the Udon chicken curry with egg is equally good: the broth is flavorful and infused with the delicate tang of curry. The Udon noodles are perfectly cooked and plentiful, and the chicken practically melts in your mouth.

The meat dishes are indeed stellar, but vegetarian diners should not despair. Tampopo offers a number of tofu dishes in addition to several other meat-free items (this reviewer highly recommends the dynamite bowl, if for no other reason than the seething red pallor evident in its laminated photo on the wall). Finally, any Tampopo diner should seriously consider sampling the homemade ice tea. Colored a lustrous brown and served in a mason jar, it's the secret gem of the restaurant - light and perfectly sweetened. The proprietors do not advertise it heavily - save for the aging cardboard sign practically buried into the front counter of the restaurant - but it is well worth the pocket-withering 90 cents.

Overall, Tampopo is an excellent restaurant. It has a pleasant hole-in-the-wall atmosphere, and it is extremely well staffed. The food is incredible and very reasonably priced ($8 to $10 on average). For anybody who is trying to find good Japanese cuisine or even just a little bit of comfort food, Tampopo is the place to be.