TV Review | 'Veep' remains TV's sharpest comedy

With a seemingly endless stream of bickering, partisan maneuvering and political drama, it's no wonder that Washington, D.C. has provided creative fodder to countless television shows over the years. Some, like "The West Wing" (1999-2006), offer an ideal version of government, with honorable politicians serving the public good. Other series, like "House of Cards" (2013-present), highlight the Machiavellian schemes and machinations of Washington power players. And then there's "Veep," which may offer the most frighteningly accurate depiction of the United States government: narcissistic and often clueless individuals, who represent the height of dysfunction. Now in its third season, this comedy is firing on all cylinders and remains the hidden gem in HBO's Sunday night lineup. Thanks to its razor-sharp wit and hilarious cast, creator Armando Iannucci's "Veep" is both a brilliant satire of American politics and one of the funniest show currently on television.

"Veep" follows the exploits of Vice President Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) and her staff. The show originally derived much of its humor from poking fun at the lopsided power dynamics (and powerlessness) Selina faced in Washington as the nation's No. 2 player. And although some of these antics still remain, this latest season finds her benefiting from the fallout of season two, in which the president bows out of running for a second term due to political scandal, clearing a path to the Oval Office for Selina. That is, of course, if she can actually make it there. While "Veep" may have shifted more of this season's action to the campaign trail, Selina's staff remains as chaotic as ever, bungling photo ops and leaking sensitive information left and right.

Beyond the show's comic misadventures, much of its strength comes from its satirization of politics and D.C. culture. Indeed, the series takes on everything from foreign diplomacy to fundraising to government shutdowns. "Veep" has even demonstrated a willingness to dive into hot-button topics: In the most recent episode, Selina is pushed to take a stance on abortion. Even after a lengthy debate with her staff, Selina's response still consists mostly of meaningless platitudes - her previous official position on the issue was "Freedom means the freedom to choose how to use that freedom to protect the freedom of others." This convoluted answer takes a stab at the politicians who wind up saying nothing of substance for fear of losing votes.

None of this material would excel without an equally stellar cast to deliver it, and this is where "Veep" shines. With two seasons under their belts, the actors have created fully developed characters and carved out their niches on the show. Selina's "bag man," Gary (Tony Hale), continues to suffer from an identity crisis and director of communications Mike (Matt Walsh) remains inept as ever; Amy (Anna Chlumsky), Selina's chief of staff, and deputy director of communications Dan (Reid Scott) constantly try to outmaneuver one another. Now, 20 episodes into the series, the cast has reached such a level of rapport that even a subtle cue, like a panicked glance from Jonah (Timothy Simons, easily the MVP of the supporting cast), can be downright hysterical. Moments like these firmly place "Veep" alongside similarly impressive comedies, such as The Office" (2005-2013) and earlier seasons of ""Arrested Development"" (2003-2013).

And tying this all together is Louis-Dreyfus' performance as Selina, which won her an Emmy in both 2012 and 2013. Louis-Dreyfus completely inhabits her character, combining just the right amounts of narcissism, cluelessness and political acumen to make Selina a gifted but often times discombobulated elected official. Even small moments - like Selina aimlessly hitting her desk out of boredom in the season premiere - are just as funny as seeing her navigate the political currents of Washington and life on the campaign trail.

Of all the comedies currently on television, ""Veep"" remains the one to beat. Between scripts packed with witty banter and biting dialogue, an outstanding supporting cast and a winning lead performance from Louis-Dreyfus, the show is a vastly underrated gem that you should be watching. And if you're on the fence about tuning in, now's the time to buckle down for an HBO Go marathon and catch up. With an entire campaign left to run, there's still a whole lot left for Selina Meyer and her staff to mess up this season.

"